Why Mikhail Bulgakov idealized evil in novels that became hits

Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov is a famous writer and playwright whose works are studied and revered all over the world. However, in schools and universities, not all interesting facts are told about it. But it was in vain, because Bulgakov’s life was really unusual.

Instagram / @vladim6482 Today editorial "Site" He will tell about the most amazing pages in the life of a cult writer. It'll be interesting!

Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov was one of those writers who in Soviet times mercilessly succumbed to criticism. For example, Bulgakov’s most famous novel The Master and Margarita was first published only 26 years after his death.

In his works, characters often had prototypes from real life. So, in the novel “White Guard” almost all the characters corresponded to relatives, friends and acquaintances of Mikhail Afanasievich.

However, this is not surprising, because in the environment of the writer really was a lot of colorful people. There is no need to go far: let’s talk about the Bulgakov family. In addition to him, his parents raised six more children.

Michael also had many distant relatives. For example, Bulgakov’s uncle lived in Japan and worked there as a priest. And his son emigrated to the United States, where he played the balalaika as part of the ensemble of Russian instruments.

Instagram / @vintage_ot_mariny The writer himself originally wanted to connect his life with medicine. And then and now the profession of a doctor was not only considered prestigious, but also brought a remarkable income.

Being still a student, Bulgakov started an affair with a 15-year-old gymnasist Tatiana Lappa. Relations developed very rapidly and rapidly. So soon the parents strongly opposed such an alliance. However, the young people were ready to do anything to be close. Young Michael even threatened to take his own life.

As a result, the lovers were allowed to get married. However, it was not possible to play a magnificent wedding. All the funds earned by Bulgakov went to ensure that Tatiana was able to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy. However, young people have always had problems with money. A very impulsive young man was Michael.

Instagram / @dombulgakova Once Bulgakov tried morphine for medical purposes. However, the single use of painkillers did not cost. The writer became so dependent on this drug that several times even threatened his wife, who tried to deceive him from the addiction.

By the way, she also became the reason why Tatiana decided to terminate her second pregnancy. She had a hard time living with Michael. He often cheated and led a loose lifestyle. And Tanya just put up with it and believed that he would change. But this did not happen, and the couple divorced.

Instagram / @efimzvenyatsky Bulgakov had many women in his life, but he only took three wives. Tatiana and I have already met. The second wife, Lyubov Belozerskaya, the writer mostly used. But Elena Shilovskaya, his third wife, he really loved. However, at the time of meeting the woman was already married and raised two children.

Mikhail Afanasievich lost his head and did everything possible to take Elena out of the family. They divorced and started a new chapter in their lives. Shilovskaya inspired Bulgakov, she became his muse.

The woman also helped her husband to solve organizational issues with the publication of his works. In fact, she was his literary agent. So it is safe to say that the prototype of Margarita in the famous novel was Elena.

Unknown from the life of Bulgakov Bulgakov had a difficult relationship with the power of the USSR. Although, according to legend, Stalin was crazy about the play “Days of the Turbins”, the writer himself was under the strict supervision of the Soviet special services for many years. Moreover, he was often interrogated, even to the point of searches and seizure of manuscripts. For example, the “heart of a dog” has disappeared.

At some point, the works of Mikhail Afanasyevich were forbidden to be published. The same fate befell his plays, which previously had great success in theaters. Bulgakov decided to emigrate. But Stalin did not give permission to leave the country.

Everyone remembers the charming cat Behemoth from “Master and Margarita”. I once named my black cat in his honor. But the prototype for this character was not a cat, but a dog.

Once the writer met a dog on the street with very smart and kind eyes. The homeless man followed Bulgakov, and he took him to himself.

This is not all interesting facts from the biography of the writer. For example, I only recently learned that readers often compare The Master and Margaret to the Bible. Moreover, it is believed that the writer deliberately idealized evil in his novels.

In the most famous of them it is actually read. Even evil was better than the Soviet government. I wonder what you think about that?

I strongly advise you to watch a documentary about Bulgakov, to further plunge into the atmosphere of time in which Mikhail Afanasievich lived once. You'll find the video here.

I wonder if you like Bulgakov’s work? Share your favorite work of the author in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting