Churchill, Gandhi and others

In the past Christmas book market appeared unexpected bestseller, best place to buy a product called Correspondence deserving a wider audience - «Correspondence, deserves a wide audience." Compiled by Sean Asher, took 125 curious historical letters. Offer today three of them.

The first letter, the Clementine Churchill wrote to his wife on June 27, 1940. Shortly before Churchill became prime minister and defense minister, leading the defense of the Fatherland. He was pessimistic. "We are with you - he said Staff Gen. Hastings Izmeyu - three months will be dead».

"My dear, - he wrote Clementine - I hope you'll forgive me if I tell you something that you should know. People from your environment, devoted friend, told me that there is a danger that colleagues and subordinates will treat you with revulsion because of your sarcastic and arrogant style of communication.

Private secretaries decided to behave like schoolchildren, that is suffering from a high school student, shrugging behind him. Showing his contempt for others, you risk to remain without fresh ideas from employees.

It hurts me that people who serve the country and you will not be for you to experience the love, respect and admiration.

Rude not achieve good results. This creates a latent hostility or slavish obedience (open rebellion will not - now the war!)

Forgive my faithful and observant Clementine

The second letter, Mahatma Gandhi (India) Adolf Hitler (Germany), was written six weeks before the Second World War.

"Dear friend - wrote Gandhi - colleagues were asking me to write to you for the sake of humanity. I did not agree to their request, considering such an audacity. However, something tells me that I should put aside any calculations and write, no matter what the cost.

Clear to me that today you - the only person who can prevent a war that could plunge mankind into savagery. Is it too high a price for you posed the goal, no matter how important this goal may seem to you?

Do you listen to the advice of those who deliberately renounce war as a method of achieving the goal?

If I made a wrong step towards you, I apologize.

The third letter was written a young Fidel Castro, November 6, 1940. Destination - US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

My good friend Roosevelt. I do not know much English. How many know as I write. I heard the radio and was very pleased that you will be the next president of periodo. I am 12 years old. I like to think, but do not know how to come up to write to the president.

If you want, send me $ 10 US, green. Came in a letter, because I have never seen a $ 10 green pieces of paper, and I would like to have it.

My address

Fidel Castro
College de Dolores
Santiago de Cuba
Oriente Cuba

I do not know much English, but I know a lot of Spanish, but you do not know much Spanish, but English is very familiar with, because you're an American, and I'm not American.

Tags

See also

New and interesting