What is the book “77 Days of February”?

Anniversary of the start of a full-scale war in Ukraine. Exactly a year ago, early in the morning, Ukrainians began to wake up to explosions and alarm calls from relatives. “Wake up, the war has begun!” he heard on the other end of the line. I didn't believe it was possible until the last day. But most Ukrainians subconsciously knew that sooner or later Russia would attack. And she did.

We live in a time when reflection on experiences comes in the moment. And that's where art helps a lot. What I mean, you'll learn in today's article.

Today I want to tell you about a book that should read not only every Ukrainian, but also every foreigner. This is a collection of reports written by journalists from the Ukrainian publication Reporters between February 23 and May 9. These dates are sacred for Russia. They play an important role in Russia’s militaristic ideology.

The book is called “77 Days of Cruelty”, which in Russian means 77 days of February. But in fact, it's been 365 days since that terrible winter month. Time has stopped and people are stuck in it. And no matter how the life of Ukrainians develops, each of them understands the price you have to pay just to live.

The book describes the history of the Russian-Ukrainian war through the prism of the stories of ordinary people. These are residents of the frontline territories, people who survived the bombing and occupation, liberation and evacuation. These are stories of brave volunteers and dedicated military.

Depicting the events of the first 77 days of full-scale war, the journalists skillfully combined the principle of documentary and author’s subjectivity in their reporting. From the thought that everything written happened in reality, the hair becomes on end.

One of the stories of this book I remember the most. I want to share with you her short retelling and clearly show what Ukrainians have experienced and are still experiencing through the fault of the Russians.

March 16, 2022. There are active battles for the Kiev region. The Russians want to besiege the capital, taking control of Butchu, Gostomel and Irpin.

A man who has been living in the basement of a Vyshgorod supermarket for the third week finds out that a distant relative of his wife is imprisoned in his own apartment in Irpen. Vladimir Andreevich Sirik is 73 years old. The grandson abandoned him, locked him in the apartment and left the door key under the mat. Grandpa needs to be saved. But how do you do that if Russian troops are constantly shelling Irpin?

Thanks to one girl from the basement in the supermarket managed to get out on a man who is engaged in the evacuation. 28-year-old Pavel German is an instructor in the sapper case of the Fund “come back alive”. He is a veteran of the Russian-Ukrainian war, which began in 2014.

Upon learning of the imprisoned grandfather, the man promised to do everything possible to save him. The quarter where Vladimir Andreevich lives was constantly shelled. Going there was a risk, but Pasha and his brother did not stop.

It was not possible to get through to my grandfather on the first day. We decided to go again. This time they changed the car to a more maneuverable one and managed to get to the right house. The key to the apartment really lay under the mat. Pasha found Grandpa naked. He lay under a blanket and was completely disoriented in space. You could see he hadn't eaten in a while.

Vladimir Andreevich did not immediately make contact. But Pasha insisted that it was necessary to evacuate. He hastily packed up his grandfather’s belongings and noticed an open book on the table. "Reading helps me not to be afraid," the older man explains. Clutching his teeth, Paul carried his grandfather out of the house in his arms, put him in a car and returned to the apartment for a wheelchair rescued.

Vladimir Andreevich was brought to a private hospice in Vyshgorod. A few months later, Pasha visited his grandfather. He didn't recognize him at first. And then they had a very warm conversation. The old man began to remember his youth and thank his savior.

About Paul German in social networks wrote even Zaluzhny. “I believe you have to save whenever you can. The war shows that everything is changing rapidly. Today you help, and tomorrow you can be in the place of someone who needs this help.

Today, February 24, 2023, is the anniversary of the start of a full-scale war in Ukraine. No one knows how long it will last. But we are sure of how it will end. A quick victory for Ukraine!

Tags

See also

New and interesting