I no longer put bananas in a disposable bag, took off the tulle and sewed great bags.

Disposable packages everywhere! I have repeatedly raised the topic of ecology in our editorial board. But that's always not enough. Unfortunately, not everyone cares about the fact that we pollute the environment with tons of garbage every day. And people persist in putting a bunch of bananas or one unfortunate lemon in a bag and carrying it to the cash register. But why?

Today I propose to speculate about human dependence on plastic bags and other plastics. And at the end of the article, I promise to share alternative solutions that will allow you to abandon the use of packages.

I'm sad to go to supermarkets and markets because every day I see dozens of disposable bags there. I've known their fate for a long time. Some landlady will come home, unpack all her purchases and just throw the unnecessary plastic in the trash.

When packages were created, they were meant to be reusable. Later, people concluded that polyethylene decomposes for hundreds of years. And all this shit rots in landfills for years. We're poisoning our lives. And we do it every day.

I don’t know what else needs to happen to get people to take this issue more seriously. I really do not understand why you can not take care of your trip to the store or the market in advance.

For example, I always take either a backpack or a spacious shopper with me when I go shopping. I put all the products I bought there. To buy bananas, a couple of apples, lemons or onions, I don't need a bag. Dozens of products just don’t need to be stacked in useless plastic.

I've been doing this for a few years. Of course, the packages in my house sometimes appear. Who doesn't. But I don't throw them away, I sort them out and burn them safely, because they can't be recycled.

Sorting of secondary raw materials It is common for Europeans and residents of other countries. However, we still consider it something distant and even strange. I’m not going to cheat: there are more people sorting garbage. But I would like this number to grow faster.

That’s one of the reasons why I’ve been writing articles like this over and over again. Just think about the fact that one day you and I will be gone. But our children and grandchildren will live on our common planet. What is the future if we don’t start worrying about nature?

What can replace plastic bags Replace plastic bags at home is not difficult. The simplest and most convenient option is pouches. They can be used for fruits, vegetables and any loose products. The main advantage is durability. You need to try hard to make such a bag wear out quickly.

As a rule, manufacturers make reusable bags from mesh weightless fabric. It is ideal for vegetables and fruits. However, there are options from denser tissue. It is suitable for cereals, legumes, nuts or pasta.

It is enough to buy several bags of different sizes once to forget about the packages forever. If you do not want to spend money (the packages are free, right?), you can sew the bags yourself. You'll probably have an old, unnecessary tulle at home. They make beautiful fruits. Look at mine, for example!

Fruits, vegetables, and sprouts were sorted out. Where do you put meat or fish? If you're willing to give up bags once and for all, then you'll need containers in the meat or fish department. Just be prepared for the huge rounded eyes of the salesman behind the counter.

Not everyone is ready to take your container, put it on a scale and press the zero weight button. Unfortunately, to some, this seems to be something super complicated. But don't despair! Practice shows that you can always achieve your goal. People need to show that there are other ways to consume.

If you still have questions that relate to this topic, feel free to ask them in the comments. Let’s move towards conscious consumption!

Tags

See also

New and interesting