My bride from Kaliningrad, weighing all the pros and cons of moving to an ancient city

“If you were born in the empire, it is better to live in a remote province by the sea!” – Brodsky once said. Well, I guess I agree with him, there's definitely something to it. “Life in Kaliningrad: what is it like?” – this question has been heard more and more in my family lately.

Brother found a bride from Kaliningrad and now weighs pros and cons moving to an old town. After listening to his stories, I start thinking about it.

Today's edition. "Site" suggest move to Kaliningrad. The proximity of the sea is so tempting!

Let’s evaluate the pros, cons and “pitfalls” of life in this remote region from Russia. Let me start with the good: the sea, and so on. seawater. The same mild weather without frost, the absence of a large number of large factories - all this, of course, has a beneficial effect on mood and well-being.

Except the weather is changeable. Too changeable! My friend, who moved there for 4 years, is still not fully used to it and often dresses for weather reasons. During the day, the weather can vary from sunny and warm to windy with rain and hurricanes.

Kaliningrad is located between Poland and Lithuania. Baltic coast. During Prussian rule, the city was called Königsberg. After World War II, it was almost completely restored. The German heritage of Kaliningrad includes the Brandenburg Gate and the Fish Village - medieval-style buildings were built here, where shops and restaurants are now located.

There are two advantages, but there are also disadvantages, of course. The first is the geographical location, namely the proximity of Europe. It is easy and cheap to travel, Kaliningrad people often go to Poland for shopping.

However, it is worth noting that moving to the Kaliningrad region, you do not move to Europe. Yes, there are still people who think that after moving to Kaliningrad, they will live in Europe.

Well, you and I know that's not true. From Europe there remained, perhaps, only German paving stones in places and pre-war architecture, which tends to collapse if it is not taken care of and not taken care of. And the rest is the same Russia with its minuses and pluses.

Now about another very important attraction - architecture. It's very atmospheric here. Kaliningrad and other cities of the region are valued for compactness and coziness, cleanliness. To be honest, against the background of all this, for me personally, all the minuses pale, but I will continue about them too.

Instagram/@taniusha.v It is one thing to visit the city as a tourist. move in. And one thing - to bring your things to Kaliningrad, and quite another - to take out.

A little bit. jobs and salaries. In the Kaliningrad region there is a sea, and therefore the tourist sphere is developed. However, the main jobs here are in the fields of logistics, construction, agriculture and industry. In the region there is a large production for the assembly of cars, a branch of Miratorg, a shipyard and much more. The IT industry is also quite developed.

But the idea of creating large online stores there should be abandoned, since it is very difficult to send something to Russia from this area.

Salaries in Kaliningrad are not high. The average salary is 25-30 thousand. Not thick, is it? Well, the roads in the yards are just a contest for the best hole. But a beautiful road from Kaliningrad to the seaside towns. With medicine in the area, too, not everything is smooth, but not so much so that very sad.

More than half. population He lives in Kaliningrad and the surrounding area. Also quite densely populated cities: Zelenogradsk, Pionersky and Svetlogorsk. In Kaliningrad, there are 3 main types of housing: old German houses with interesting layouts, panel and cinder block high-rises of the Soviet period and houses of modern buildings such as townhouses.

In Kaliningrad there are still old German two- or three-storey houses, where each apartment is autonomously heated with coal or firewood. That is, they remained somewhere in the pre-war and post-war time. Gas and autonomous gas heating are mainly in apartments of new construction. In the old “soviet” buildings of houses – centralized heating and stoves in the kitchen electric. Therefore, payments for heating and electricity are sky-high.

Housing prices have risen in price over the past couple of years, it will be very difficult for an average citizen to buy real estate there!

Instagram / @serge_m69 Of the minuses, I still want to mention heavy traffic jams (the city is old and narrow), high food prices and slowness, inconcretion, rashness of workers in some areas, but this is more a hallmark of the mentality.

But it's beautiful. atmospheric! Separately, I want to note the figures of homlins, which are located in different places in the center of Kaliningrad, near significant attractions. Who does not know, homlins are mythological creatures, like house creatures, which, according to legend, live near people, and at night make amber products. According to legend, Homlin brings happiness and goodness.

The figures of the Homlin family with good-natured appearance and “mouse” ears are miniature in size, slightly smaller than the palm of an adult, and made of bronze. There are 7 figures of homlins in the city, and each of them has a name. Walking from one homlin to another, you can simultaneously get acquainted with the city and see its most iconic sights.

I also suggest you find out what to see in Northern Venice, if you are lucky enough to visit St. Petersburg for a couple of days. Once arrived here tourist will never be able to forget the beauty of this shining metropolis!

Life in Kaliningrad can be very cozy and measured, but it all depends on what you need. Pros and cons, though. individuallySomeone needs the frantic rhythm of a noisy metropolis, and someone more suitable measured life by the sea. It's your choice!

On my own, I am delighted with the architecture of Kaliningrad, I love the sea air and adore amber jewelry, of which there are many because of amber production.

Have you been to Kaliningrad or Kaliningrad? Would you like to live there?

Tags

See also

New and interesting