Why turn delicate lilac buds into jam and how to prepare it

I really like to make jam from unusual ingredients. As a child, my grandmother used to make dandelion jam. Somewhere around that time, I got this craving for weird blanks. I was wondering what else to make jam out of. And I was inspired by the smell of lilac for a new experiment. It seemed to me that these flowers would definitely make something incredible.

The recipe was tested last year, so the editorial board "Site" sharing it with you. We think the taste will surprise you.

Grandma always said that lilac has healing properties. She did not cook jam, but made a tincture of flowers. Due to its composition, lilacs have anti-inflammatory properties. Lilac tincture is used for colds, headaches, scratches, as well as for joints.

To prepare the tincture, first you need to collect lilacs away from the road, then dry the inflorescences. Only you need to dry not under direct sunlight. Dried flowers can be stored dry to make tincture as needed.

The method of preparing tincture is simple: you need to pour flowers into a bottle to the top, then pour alcohol, close tightly and put in a dark place. Strain in three weeks. Then it can be used for compresses and lotions. For example, wipe scratches, apply to sick joints. In general, this is a universal tincture. And now let’s move on to the preparation of jam.

Lilac Jam Ingredients
  • 50g petals
  • 350g sugar
  • 350 ml of water
  • lemon

Preparation
  1. First we need to collect lilacs. It is best to do this in rural areas, away from the roadway. Lilacs should be carefully cleaned of twigs and small leaves. The work is painstaking, but the result is worth it. In the end, only flowers should remain, otherwise the jam will be bitter. After the flowers still need to be washed with water to remove the dust.

2. Then we make sugar syrup. Boil water, add some sugar. The syrup should be thick. As soon as it boils, add the juice of half the lemon. Then add the flowers and mix well.

3. Cook it all about 3-4 minutes, no longer. Turn off the fire, let the jam cool. Then put it in a jar.

The jam turns out sweet, with floral bitterness. The smell of lilacs is felt after cooking. It's not the kind of thing that smears on a bun. I personally add it to my tea. Great for colds. Summer in a cup in the middle of winter is amazing!

I used to make jam from dandelions, tried to harvest jam from cones. If you experiment, you can make it out of anything. But, of course, my favorite was and is jam made of rose petals. I hope you enjoy this fragrant flower sweet too.

What unusual recipes are in your cookbook?

Tags

See also

New and interesting