Why women don’t want to take their husband’s name

Before marriage, many women and girls think, husband's name. Someone considers it their duty, and someone does not know why to do it at all. Today. "Site" We will look at this issue from different angles. And at the end of the article, we will share the diverse opinions of the female part of our editorial board. I wonder what point of view is closer to you?

Previously, there was a law under which a woman was required to take her husband’s surname after marriage. But those days are long gone. And that’s great because many people aren’t willing to say goodbye to their maiden name. There are several good reasons for this.

In order to change the name, all documents must be changed. From paperwork, the head will go round - you can not doubt this. Not everyone likes to run around and deal with a bureaucratic system. Besides, it's gonna cost a lot.

Secondly, there is an opinion that, abandoning the maiden name, the girl abandons herself, a kind. It's like betrayal. Our reader Natalia writes: "I will not change my own for anything." This is the memory of my father.” While retaining their former surname, some women pay homage to their fathers, who may no longer be alive.

And there are more prosaic stories. For example, a girl just does not like her husband’s name, but a girl’s name, on the contrary, sounds much better. In addition, the woman could achieve serious success and achieve considerable heights with her name. What's the point of changing everything and changing it?

We are convinced that you do not have to follow the far-fetched norms of society if they do not suit you. In the past, women were often condemned for not taking their husband’s name. Without a common name, there can be no normal family. It is a kind of symbol of the devotion of spouses and the strength of the bonds that bind them.

However, a common surname does not guarantee that a marriage cannot break down. Everything depends only on the people themselves and their relationships, and not on the name that the wife takes or leaves the same. If a woman takes her husband’s name, it does not mean that the spouses will never quarrel and conflict.

There are situations when the husband insists that the beloved take his name. In this case, it is worth discussing the issue of trust with him. A man may not be confident in himself or his future spouse. Think twice whether you want to marry an owner who will identify you only as his wife and not as an independent person.

Fortunately, the era of rigid patriarchy is gradually fading into oblivion. A man no longer has to be the sole breadwinner, and a woman can easily become the head of the family. It is not surprising that sometimes the husband does not change his name. About a similar story tells our reader Ekaterina: “My friend could not learn to correctly write the name of the future husband, he spit and took the name of his wife when marrying.”

Experts have conducted a lot of sociological research on this topic. For example, children born in marriage do not care much. The child will not worry about the fact that his mother and father live under different names.

I will say even more: the child can be given the name of the mother, if the spouses want it. It's totally normal. And I'm living proof of that. When I was born, my parents gave me my mother’s name. And the point here is not at all in the procreation, but simply in the harmony of the name itself.

If you are suffering and can not decide whether to take the name of your husband after the wedding, there is an easy way out. Make your last name double. So you will please your wife, and you will not hurt your relatives. The documents will have to be changed anyway.

At the end of the article, I promised to share with you the thoughts of my wonderful colleagues. Most of them agree that it is not necessary to change the name. If your husband has a beautiful name, why not?

My colleague Anastasia Chubar said: I think all family members should have the same surname: husband, wife and children in the future. This is both socially and esotericly correct.”

I wonder what you think about that? Boldly share your thoughts in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting