Why I'm not price-oriented when looking for canned peas at the supermarket

My mother taught me that there should always be a jar in the house. canned peas I'm sorry. And for that, I'm grateful. In various situations, it helps: guests came over, unwilling to go to the store, sick - with peas you can cook. From simple vinaigrette to favorite goulash in cream sauce.

© Freepik And this one, How to Choose the Right Canned Peas I wasn't taught at the store. Often came across hard and tasteless. I had to find this experience through trial and error, as well as listening to the advice of other housewives. Now 9 out of 10 purchases are successful. I decided to share it with readers. "Site"How can a jar of peas determine what it will be inside?

Canned peas For me perfect gentle, soft, sweet, but not hard and bitter. To choose just such, you need to pay attention to the variety of green peas, as well as the date of production. And there are some subtleties.

"Right" varieties and what the inscription "restored" means They are usually used for production. cerebral. It should be written on the bank. However, the inscription “brain varieties” is not always present. In this case, attention should be paid to carbohydrate in the lineup. If 5 g or less is a "soup" variety, hard. In soft peas, carbohydrates range from 6.5 g or more.

Another nuance. If the label says "restored" (often in brackets), this means that the product is made from dry raw materials, that is, dry peas. It's often cheaper. Therefore, not always economical purchases are justified.

Why is the production date important Sweet peas turns out if it is canned straight from the field. Exceptionally, June, July, early August. And here's why: later peas (the same brain varieties) overripe and accumulate starch substances. Because of this, its taste becomes bitter and astringent on the tongue.

According to the rules, brain varieties collected in late August-September are sent for the manufacture of pea cereals. But some manufacturers do not act in good faith: they preserve overripe peas. In order not to follow their lead, when choosing peas I always look carefully. line. I see the months 06, 07, 08 - I take, I see the autumn - I pass by.

Other production dates may indicate recovery from dry raw materials (as I wrote above) or canning. previously frozen peas. The taste of the freeze doesn't change. But you can’t guess: maybe it was frozen a few months before, or perhaps the shelf life was already coming to an end.

If canned peas are caught without bitterness, but hard, you can add it to gravy, vegetable stew and soups. If with bitterness - stew in milk and garlic sauce.

And for cases where peas are still needed saladThere's one simple and effective lifehack. Pour the brine out of the jar, pour the peas with boiling water, cover the jar with a towel and leave it until it cools. Soon the peas will become softer.

If there is such an opportunity in the summer, try to prepare green peas for the winter. That's an option too!

Knowing these nuances, when making a purchase, you will feel confident You can't buy a cat in a bag. Therefore, there will be less disappointment and frustration from this.

How do you choose a quality product, what are you guided by? Share it in the comments.

Tags

See also

New and interesting