Tatiana Chernigovskaya: Why dogs don't go to the Museum

Tatiana Chernigovskaya - the honored worker of science of Russia, an outstanding scientist in the field of neuroscience, psycholinguistics and theory of consciousness, says iskustvima on specific goals.

"And I'll start with a provocation. A few years ago, I was at the international semiotic Congress, there was one report, the name of which I will never forget. And it was this: "Why dogs don't go to museums".

It's actually a very serious matter, because why did they not go to school? There is the floor on which they can walk, have air they can breathe, they have eyes, ears. Somehow they and the Philharmonic also do not go. That's why? This question returns us to something in us, humans, are special.

And twice today I remember Brodsky. For the first time now. Brodsky said about poetry, about art in General, but it is quite applicable:"Poetry is our species purpose."

I'm getting to that, as far as we know, nothing like none of our neighbors on the planet there.

We do not live among objects, things, mountains and rivers. We live in a world of ideas. I think that it is appropriate to mention Yuri Mikhailovich Lotman, whom I had the good fortune to chat a lot, and it certainly should not be forgotten. After all, the idea of Yuri Mikhailovich was that art reflects life and art creates life, it creates life,and that is a very different story. Lotman, incidentally, said that before appeared Turgenev ladies, there was no Turgenev young ladies, before there were extra people, no extra people. First, it was necessary to write Rakhmetova, and then all lay on nails to check how much they will hold. Here sir said just now that it's all in the head. Yes, it's all in the head, that is why dogs and all the other lovely animals have absolutely no reason to go to the Mariinsky theater or the Museum, because we look with the eyes and see the brain, we hear with our ears but hear with our brain, and so on for all sensor systems can go. Need trained brain. This way, I say on the topic of elitism.

Not that that is bad and good brain, and that brain must be educated, otherwise it is useless to look at the "Black square", "Red square", to listen to Schoenberg and so on.

When Brodsky says that art is our "specific purpose", I would like to emphasize here is the thing. Art is different, unlike the Sciences, where, say, I do, a different way of understanding the world and another way of describing the world.In General, other.

I want to say that the usual, the General public believes that there are serious things is life, or at least the technology and science. And there is such appendage, so to speak, dessert: you can eat and can not eat, you can use different spoons, forks, tweezers and so on, and can simply be missed. The question is who we want to be. If we are simply the owners of ears, noses, eyes and hands, then without this, all you can do.

But the art does what — I again you back me up — that made Proust on the theme of memory. Proust opened — I wanted to say, the laws of memory, but it's too pathetic.

He said about the memory of things which modern science with all its technology and vast capabilities only is selected. The artists — in the broadest sense, it does not matter, this is what the artists have any tentacles such that they reveal things that are impossible to access with the help of science. More precisely, perhaps, but a very long time. The Impressionists opened up about the vision.Not about rods and cones, not about the structure of the eye and about vision. They discovered that within a few decades, then discovered sensory physiology, which began to study how people perceive complex visual objects.

So, getting back to Brodsky, that's what others can do. So that I could see, hear, understand something, I have to have a trained brain.

We are born into this world with the same brain more or less (except for genetics), empty text on a neural network, which we all have. But we, each in our own time, will stand before the Creator with a completely different neural network, and there will be a written text all of our lives, including food, Leonardo, lipsticks, skirts, books, wind, sun on a specific day — everything is written there. So we want this text was difficult, or we want it to be comics? Then the brain must be prepared.

Speaking of which, I will say and materialistic one thing, who cares, you can give a link to serious scientific article. Now, you also talked about fitness: the art is fitness. Of course, if we lie down on the couch and the couch to lie half a year, then we won't know how to stand up, not that how to walk.

If the brain is not busy with hard work, then there is nothing to be surprised and offended. It will be plain text and boring plain text. The brain improved from hard work, but art is a very difficult job for the brain, because it requires, I repeat, training, and there are a lot of non-trivial moves.

So it trains a neural network that she is physically improving. We know both from their own music-making and listening complex music neural network is qualitatively different, very complex processes are going on in the brain of a person who listens to music or plays her. Very complex processes are, when a man (who understands what he is doing and not just his eyes are open) looking at a complicated picture or painting. The object itself, be it painting, sculpture, film or whatever, it's not Autonomous, it depends about what Tsvetaeva at the time said "reader-co-author". That depends on who reads, who listens, who looks. This is a serious story.

I recently just read an article in a very serious Western journal about what is happening in the brain of a dancer. Very complex processes are going on. That is, do not think that the art is sort of easy, pleasant supplements that are generally simply dressed, and beautiful. It's not about that, it's not about "beautiful". This is a different vision of the world fundamentally different, not digital, if you understand what I mean, it's not the algorithms, it gestalte, it's vague, it's about what philosophy calls qualia, the quality.

Qualia is something that cannot be described in any way, this first person experience is "how I feel". Here we drink the same wine, you say, like something sour, well, in vain these notes. And I say: in my opinion, those notes here as it should, good... No grams, milligrams, spectra do not describe such things as cold, warm, nice, beautiful. Here science is powerless".

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! © econet

Source: izbrannoe.com/news/mysli/tatyana-chernigovskaya-mozg-dolzhen-byt-obrazovan-inache-emu-bespolezno-smotret-na-chernyy-kvadrat-i/

Tags

See also

New and interesting