20 cool Latin phrases, useful for learning

It is no secret that phrase said in Latin, sounds very serious and clever. And if you studied Latin at University, you probably remember some of the sayings. And if not, that's okay! The website offers the readers to get acquainted with some expressions that will give your speech the extra weight.

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur" — anything said in Latin sounds like wisdom.

"Ex nihilo nihil fit" — from nothing will come nothing. This phrase can be used in order to emphasize that the only important result.

"Etiam si omnes, ego non" — if it does, then I don't.

"Memento mori" — remember death. The phrase serves as a powerful reminder that we all are not eternal.

"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur" the world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived.

"Invictus maneo" — remain undefeated.

"Non ducor, duco" — I'm not a follower, lead. Is the official motto of the Brazilian city of são Paulo.

"Oderint dum metuant" — let them hate, just afraid.

"Carpe diem cras" — seize the moment or live for the present. A very suitable slogan for those who want to try something new.

"Sic transit gloria mundi" — thus passes worldly glory. With this phrase refer to the Pope at the time of the construction of its San.

"In vino veritas" — truth in wine. Is analogous to the Russian proverb "That a sober mind, then drunk on language".

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat" — fortune favors the brave.

"Cogito Ergo Sum" — I think, therefore I exist. This saying belongs to the philosopher Rene Descartes.

"Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus" — do not tease a sleeping dragon. This phrase J. K. Rowling used in her books as the motto of Hogwarts.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" — if you want peace, prepare for war. This saying attributed to the Roman historian Cornelius Nepotu.

"Pacta sunt servanda" — agreements must be respected. A fundamental principle of international law and civil law.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" — if all fell, play dead you.

"Dum Spiro, Spero" — while I breathe, I hope. This phrase has become a slogan of Russian submarine forces and the motto of the U.S. state of South Carolina.

"Aut inveniam viam aut faciam" — either find a road or pave it yourself.

via factroom.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting