6 steps for making tough decisions

Tony Robbins: the desire to be perfect is "madness"

Most people fall into a stupor when it comes to making decisions. Youíre paralyzed by fear or lack of confidence or they are simply overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

Leaders make decisions that others cannot or will not accept.

But the best ones use a system to ensure selection of the best possible options and to reduce any potential risk.

I remember one time I was talking with General Schwarzkopf on the mentors that have shaped our ideas about life and decision-making. He talked about one General, with whom he worked before he became "Stormin Norman" as we know it today. He remembered a situation in which a person was asked to make a decision that was not taken for nearly 10 years. The General just looked at them and said, "the Answer is obvious, gentlemen." He gave them an answer and said, "It's our decision. Act."

After they left, I had approached the General and said, "Permission to speak freely?" He said, "of Course." He said, "General, I know that you don't even have a clue what he was talking about these guys".

The General smiled at him and said, "You're right. I understand not all". He added: "But you know what? It was a decision that no one took over 10 years"

And he said, "within 10 years of the best minds discussing it, walking back and forth, and could not take any decision, so you know what? We need to choose one option and do it. And so I did. Because I believe that now all the best people will work on it, and they either do it or not. If they see that it's not working, then we quickly change the direction and do the right thing. What happened now is a stalemate.The solution is power, and I'm here to take them. For this reason I take the position, that's why I'm the leader."

Think about it.

Trying to be perfect when it comes to making decisions is madness.

You have to stop being afraid — you need to stop worrying about failure

The only defeat is the inability to make a decision, postponing the fact that you inevitably have to do.

When I make difficult decisions, I use the process of six steps, which not only helps me make the best decision possible, but also reduces the disadvantages of any decision, because we all know that decisions have the force.

This system is called OOC/EMR/. I should mention that all this needs to be done on paper, so you do not dwell on possible scenarios.

Here's how to use it:

1. Get clarity on your results.

What result you want to obtain after? Why do you want to achieve this? You should have a clear idea about your result(outcomes) and their order of importance to you. Remember — first, go to the reasons, the answers come later.

2. Find out your options.

Write down all your options, including those that may seem far-fetched. Remember this principle: one option is not a choice. Two options is a dilemma. Three options is a choice. Write down ALL the options regardless of whether you like them or not.

3. What are the consequences?

What are the positive and negative consequences of each option? What you get as a result of each and every decision and what it worth to you?

4. Rate your options.

Look at everyplus and minus (from the previous paragraph). Ask yourself:

• What results will this affect?
  • How important (on a scale from 0 to 10) is one minus/plus from the standpoint of matching your results?
  • What is the probability(0-100%) that these pros/cons will happen?
  • What will be the emotional benefit or consequence if this plus/minus will actually happen?
After completing this stage, you will be able to remove some options from your list.

5. Mitigation of damage.

Look at the negative consequences for each remaining option.

Then brainstorm alternative ways to eliminate or reduce these deficiencies.

6. The decision

Based on the most probable consequences, select the option that provides the greatest confidence that you will meet your desired results and needs.

• Select your best option and will strengthen our resolve to do it.
  • Make this decision, no matter what happens — this option will bring you victory.
  • Create your plan to implement and then take massive action.
  • Remember — it is better to make a decision and to observe whether there is a need to change your approach, than to remain paralyzed in indecision.published

©Tony Robbins

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: anthony-robbins-ru.ru/2017/01/06/kak-prinimat-trudnye-resheniya/

Tags

See also

New and interesting