A poignant letter from a mother

Letter from a mother and teacher-tutor for children with disabilities in the Italian school. Like and unlike the Russian school. "I am a mother and elementary school teacher, this year I'm working tutor with a heavy, very heavy girl, heavy and very beautiful. I come to class, the main teacher tells me "be Careful with that girl's mother, she will make every attempt to dip you in their problems, and she is slightly obsessed with the idea that her daughter can do everything, understands everything and so on." I'm silent.

The teacher explains to me that today our class goes to the Museum, and that the girl's mother insisted that we take her. I am silent and look into the eyes of girls. Eye of my daughter, I think the little girl "don't worry, we'll go to the Museum together." She's smiling, she's so beautiful. I communicate with other teachers who accompanied the girl 3 years of her school life, but none of them can tell me more about her abilities and successes, we are discussing mostly her diagnosis, although it is very common and medical. We go to a Museum, class, conduct a tour. The girl in the wheelchair, she tries to move closer to the paintings, to photographs, to maps, to better consider them. But the teacher whispers to me that I took the stroller back so the other children can get close to the paintings. Those who "understand"... I pretend I didn't hear follow the girl and help her to examine each exhibit, which tells us the guide. The teacher sideways glances at me.
After the tour we went to school again. All children receive a notebook and is there to answer questions about the tour, draw the exhibits to Express their opinion about what they saw. The girl did not get any notebooks. This is my first day at school, and I didn't bring her any amusement, while the other children are doing. Fortunately, I find a way out, I asked a neighbor on the Desk to show us his notebook. Our neighbor is very sweet and friendly girl, she reads with us his notebook, but she needs to fulfill its mission, she has no time for us.
Snack: one girl, the other children eating together fun groups. Time to change a diaper, I'm looking for the medic, which is responsible for the hygiene of the girls. They're a race hidden from me. "It's okay, I'll change, dear, — I whisper to the girl. For an hour you in a dirty diaper“.
I meet with last year's tutor girl, she tells me a bunch of bad things about the mother and about the family, insists that to work with such a profound disability is simply impossible. I ask, does she use the technique augmentative and alternative communication (AAC). She says that she has a General teacher education, although it passed 4 additional exam to work with the disabled, but she cannot know everything... I say nothing... I say nothing this time.

Meanwhile, I'm already madly in love with my girl in it lives my daughter, suffering and attempts of her mother — that my efforts and suffering. In her answers to the questions that I ask myself every minute. In this fry the grasshopper with sharp knees, which quite correctly shows me all the colors, all the shapes, letters, numbers, answers my questions with the sounds and squeaks, which I correctly interpret. We caress each other, I kiss her cheeks and in her hair, she stroking my face and shoulders.
At the end of the day classroom teacher says to me, "Well, you seem to be doing well, that we all benefit." At the door, I turn and say: "my House waiting for my daughter, also with a very serious disability." Complete silence in response to me.
The next day I come to school with their Ipad and in bellicose mood. The teachers are trying to make up for yesterday's impression and make excuses, but I clearly explain to them: "Look, I don't tutor this particular child, I tutor, who works with the class with the whole class, to teach this particular child. Therefore, we will work together, otherwise we can not avoid the problem. If you could see this girl that I see it, if you saw the motionless body of an ordinary child, curious, playful, funny, our class would be better, you would have been better, and the whole world would be happier.“
My girl had a great day, she was having fun with Ipad apps, the other children stood behind her and watched with interest as she does the job. In the afternoon I organized all around us small group and my girl was able to go grab a bite alone, and in the company of classmates. I brought her a book of fairytales and told her ear that when I'm not around, she can read stories, so she will not be bored alone. At school she spends 18 hours a week, and I can't always be there. Then she was sitting alone, looking into the void.
Now I'm home, looking at his daughter. And hope and pray to all the gods that she was able to survive the anger and ignorance of people.published Also interesting: Emotional intelligence: 5 ways to teach your child to Express feelings How to properly respond to the child's feelings P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: michelevaleria.livejournal.com/346256.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting