Austin kleon: Learn to take a punch

1. You don't need to be a genius.

We always say — find your voice. When I was younger, I never understood what that means. I used to be very worried if I had your voice. But now I realize that the only way to find your voice is to use it. It is innate and given to us by nature.

If you want to let people know about what you are doing and what interests you, you should share it. Talk about what you love. Your voice will follow.

2. Think process, not product.

Usually find that the creative process is something sacred that should be left to themselves. It is assumed, we must work in complete secrecy, hiding our ideas and our work from prying eyes, until we will not have mind-blowing product.

But people interested in other people and what they are doing. Showing your process, we allow people to have constant communication with us and our work that helps us to move on our final product.

3. Share something small every day.

Once a day, after you've done your job, find one small piece of your process that you can share. What will it be — depends on what stage you are in.

• If you are in the beginning, share what influenced you and what inspires.
  • If you are in the middle of a project, write about their methods or show the work in progress.
  • If you have just completed a project, show the result, scraps on the floor of your workshop or write about what he has learned new things.
And don't say you don't have the time. We're all busy, but we all have only 24 hours in a day.

People often ask me:

— How do you find the time?

And I answer:

I'm looking for him.

You may have to miss an episode of your favorite TV show or miss an hour of sleep, but you can find time if you want.

4. Share your findings.

If you are not ready to show the world their own work, can you tell us what you love about the work of others.

Where do you find inspiration? What do you think? What are you reading? You are subscribed to something? What sites you visit on the Internet? What sort of music do you listen to? What movies are you watching? As you look at art? What do you collect? What's inside your notebooks? That hangs on a cork Board above your Desk. What's on your fridge? Who did the work that you admire? Who do you steal ideas? Do you have heroes? Who you see online? One of the colleagues you see?

Is to share what affects you, because it helps people understand who you are and what you do.

5. Tell a good story.

Artists love to constantly repeat, "My work speaks for itself", but the truth is that it is not. People want to know where things came from, how they were made and who made them. The stories that you tell about your job, have a huge impact on how people feel and understand about your work, which in turn will determine how much they will appreciate it.

You should be able to explain their work to the kindergartner, the retired and those in between. Everybody loves interesting stories, but not everything comes easy well to tell. It's a skill that we need to improve a life. Study success stories and then look for your style. Your stories will become better if you will tell them.

6. Teach what you know yourself.

In the moment when you learn something, turn around and teach it to others. Share the list of your books. Guide to useful reference materials. Write a few guides and post them on the Internet. Use images, words and videos. Show people step by step the whole process of your work. Says Kathy Sierra: "Make people better at what they want to be better."

Training people does not diminish the value of what you are doing, and actually adds. When you teach somebody how to do your job, you are, in fact, attract more interest to her. People feel closer to your job, because you are giving access to their knowledge.

7. Don't turn into human spam.

If you only show your, you doing it wrong. If you want fans, you have to be a fan in the first place. If you want to get noticed, you need to notice. Sometimes it is enough to shut up and listen. Be careful. Be careful.

If you want followers, be the one to follow. Not reptiles. Don't be a jerk. Don't waste people's time. Don't ask too much. And never, ever ask people to subscribe to you. "Follow me back?" is the saddest question on the Internet.

8. Learn to take a punch.

When you show the world your work, you must be prepared for the good, the bad and the unpleasant. The more people will see your work, the more you will have to face criticism.

The only way to take a punch is to practice to get a lot of hits. Put a lot of work. Let people criticize it. Then do more work and continue to show. The more criticism you get, the more you'll realize that she can't hurt you.

Also interesting: the False hustle: how permanent employment reduces productivity

Success depends on how much time you are NOT working

9. Produites.

Be ambitious. Do not sit idly by. Think more. Expand your audience.

10. Continue.

Every career is full of UPS and downs. When you are in the middle of his life and career, you don't know whether you are moving up or down, or what should happen next. It is very important not to quit prematurely. published

Author: Austin Kleon

Source: www.liveinternet.ru/users/ladanka/post357308598/

Tags

See also

New and interesting