Success depends on how much time you are NOT working

It sounds strange. Most people I know are passionate about the work. They do the opposite: proceed from the time that can devote to work. Can take the example of the chief editor of the online publication. I'm like her or write, she works all the time. She pushes off from work as from a stone on which makes life.

For example, if she is able to work 15 hours a day, seven days a week, the result is 105 hours per week. She thinks the 105 hours will make it more efficient, and the online edition is more visited. In reality I would recommend to think not.

I would recommend to spend more time with her boyfriend. Spend more time with that dog, with whom she lived for some time. And the rest of the time possible to spend on the online edition. I'm sure she would have seen that as a result of work, for example, 105 hours per week, 35 – 40, she gets more than 105.

Yes, I must admit: to take a chance and try to test this theory hard. There was a study which said that there are people who subconsciously want to believe that their efforts bring results. And Vice versa: the result is always the result of the efforts. Most people I know don't believe in solutions that seem simple and are looking for the mess. Because of this, I want to work more – it seems that the most you have time for more.

Where lies the mistake?

You can follow many methods. I hardly understand them better than you. There are methods to do lists, where you delegate responsibilities. For example, in the morning you make one basket task, then rest – go to the pool, shop, see movie. Then you make the second basket.

There is a technique where you take more complex things and do them early in the day, then resting, and then doing small tasks. There are even entire chart, which shows how the time during the day distributed by famous people. Someone worked at night, some in the morning.

Yes, everyone has their own technique. But I urge you to understand that no one would become great and successful, if he his life is arranged on the principle "work more and at the maximum, the rest of the time to spend on personal life."

This is a fundamental mistake.

As the time I distribute

It's simple. Greek philosopher Plato said that thinking is impossible without idleness. Quote may be inaccurate, but the idea is this.

Thoughts come to the person who is not engaged in any business. Only to someone who does nothing and rests.

Try to think about it. If you work all the time, if you have no opportunity to relax, enjoy a Cup of coffee, take a walk and also something to drink – you will not be able to consider your decisions and do the right steps. But if each day you will give yourself the time thinking, thinking about solutions, you become much more effective.

In that spirit, I'm taking my time. My main task as CEO is to make decisions. To come up with ideas and, in fact, share them with colleagues. And then watch as my tasks are executed. Many of the ideas can be incorrect, some are correct.

But the main value I for the company – that's how I think. And my "thinking" I need time. The main part of my work is "doing nothing" and "thinking". I can do it in the office or driving in the car. I can do nothing and to be idle at home, in the Park. All this time I only need a mobile phone where I jot things, ideas and tasks.

As I have already told all my entries in the phone are divided into three categories. The first category is ideas that need to be checked. The second category of tasks that you need to put to my colleagues. And the third category is questions, the answers to which will allow me, perhaps, in the future, to come up with new ideas.

I can give an example. The idea in letters to doctors to make a larger font. I have this idea, inform the developer. They are testing and find out what the font increase has reduced the effectiveness of the letters. We understand that the idea was stupid, the CEO is an idiot, and the font should be returned to normal size.

Tasks. For example, I can understand that we are in the office urgently needs to change the machine. Because I have an idea – "the old coffee machine no longer cope". I write my phone problem: "Change the machine" – and then it is already implement in the form of a more extensive task to my colleague.

Questions. For example, I can come up with the idea – what if we abandon one of the types of services for clients to focus on other services? I record myself the question, what proportion of our revenue is this service and what costs we bear to provide. This question I can send, for example, our chief accountant. And it will tell me how things are in reality. Based on that I will decide what to do next.

So my workday is about 15 hours, which stop at food, reading, writing posts and so on... Of these 15 hours, I just think 10 hours every day. Can you imagine that? Just think.

In the remaining five hours includes, for example, detailed painting tasks, ideas and jobs that I came up with for the previous 10 hours. Usually it takes me three hours. Every day. Two hours two forced acting General Director, which I try to avoid, but I always manage: signing documents, meetings, meetings, sometimes travel to customers and partners. Sometimes meetings with co-investors.

You can see that from my time two thirds is spent just thinking, that's my value. I know a bunch of entrepreneurs, especially young people who work all the time and do not have time to think. What they sort of rivet-rivet, programming, writing presentations – more, more, more.

Then talk to him, ask: have you thought about how you will deal with such competition? They say, "Oh, no! What? When? Where? We worked, we just didn't have time".

Very busy people no time to think and generate ideas that will make them rich. This is their big problem.

The time remaining outside of these 15 working hours, I mostly give to the sport or family: we go to theaters and museums, go somewhere, watch movies and so on. While I have a hard and fast rule: I only work on weekdays. Weekends – Saturday, Sunday, holidays – I think all the time, but the most I do is write my ideas into the phone.

I don't sit at the computer. I have specifically not home, no computer, no laptop, no tablet. At home, I should be free from the time that I spend directly working with documents, files, texts and so on. Although, even just recording ideas into a phone, I often I feel like a traitor to my wife – she is rightly outraged.

For example, on Saturday we walked in the Park and I suddenly stopped and began to record his idea. Then she realizes that I wasn't really listening, but instead thinking about work. Then I overtaken by severe punishment.

Summarizing my suggestions on time management for entrepreneurs, I advise you to half the time each day to spend on thinking. For reading sources which will allow you to think. In discussing information with people that can help you to come up with something. Not to work.

10% of the time can be spent on recording what you come up with, validation and implementation of these ideas. And 10 – 15% directly to work. For example, if you are a programmer, then it's time to write code.

Jim Davis: how to "pump" your skills using imagination5 unusual ways to fulfill commitments

I assure you that this allocation of time will be much, much better for you as an entrepreneur or senior Manager. If you do the opposite – you will work half of the day, think two or three hours – your life will not become a nightmare, but you will never achieve the heights that could be achieved if I followed my rule.

Here is my opinion about the allocation of time.published

Author: Stanislav Sazhin

Source: rb.ru/opinion/highway-to-success/

Tags

See also

New and interesting