5 secrets of developing willpower from an FBI agent

Usually talking about the ability or inability to learn languages, various secret methods that are available special services, and similar things. But few people says that in the process of mastering almost any skill very much depends on the will power.

So let's talk about it. And – from a position of experience of the security services. Word to the author, a former agent with the experience of about 24 years.

To enroll in the FBI Academy, I had to pass a special physical tests, which include 50 push-UPS. I did a 49 when I heard the whistle announcing the end of the allotted exercise time. Now my group had to pass the next test — pull-up. But I felt defeated. I already knew that the test fails due to push UPS, so why continue?

Disappointed in myself, I was just going to sit back while others are doing this exercise. But the coach told me to get up and continue the test. And not just to continue but to give our best. This meant two hours of hard work, which I already know will not bring positive results.

And it wasn't the last time the FBI was pushing me to the obstacle course. I had to deal with such obstacles that seemed absolutely insurmountable, in any case, at the first attempt. But this experience has taught me that it attempts to overcome existing challenges prepare us for future success — if not this time, then the next — for sure.

It's called willpower. And in this article I want to share with you five secrets that have helped me personally in the education of the will power.

1) keep in sight your goalto strengthen your will power, you have to constantly remind myself why this is the case /purpose is important now. If you are engaged in any work or small orders, the result of which means nothing — will power there will not develop. That is why it is so hard to get together to do a project you hate, which is simply not interesting. It was easier for me: I knew that I wanted to be a FBI agent, and it filled all my actions each day.

2) don't cut cornersAs I have had this experience. While running the Academy, I decided to ease my task is to shorten the distance by cutting corners on turns. It was not so difficult, as I ran one of the last, and a Jogging trail made several sharp turns. Unfortunately (or fortunately?!), the coach saw it. He forced me to come back (which already increased the distance) and take the turns correctly. Since then, I've learned that cutting corners does not reduce the distance to the target, and increases the time spent on achieving it.

3) Train your brainthe Word "meditation" may sound from the lips of the strange FBI agent. But the first time I realized the importance of being able to free your mind from all unwanted thoughts and emotions during training shooting. The best shooters are those who can enter into a trance and focus on the target. Some of them characterize the process of shot — meditation time. But the same principle: control your thoughts so that you can correctly focus.

4) Model the persistence and consistencyForced to complete a sports quiz after I failed, coach carved in my mind the following mantra: "I will not back down. If I'm knocked down, I will rise and continue the fight. No matter how many times. I have everything you need to achieve the goal". During the Academy, I was regularly confronted with unfamiliar things, fate threw me a challenge at a time. Not always I saw the finish line in the beginning. But: practicing persistence and consistency in achieving goals, I have learned to generate successful strategies that have moved me forward.

5) Change your way of thinking — as often as required by the lifeWhen you have to make quick decisions, sometimes at gunpoint, quickly learn the fact that the unilateral stereotypes and outdated approaches to business do not solve the problem. Train your flexibility of thinking, don't be afraid of unconventional solutions.

In every life there are moments akin to my test on physical training for FBI — a challenging project at work, an important exam, etc. But if you want to take something from this article, take this point:

You are much stronger than you give yourself credit.published

The author of the translation of Vyacheslav Davidenko

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: megamozg.ru/company/testutor/blog/23470/

Tags

See also

New and interesting