Chris Guilbaud: If the target has lost its importance

Why don't need to worry that you have not achieved something or changed their purpose, explains the famous entrepreneur Chris Guilbaud, author of "Startup for $100".

Once I was cleaning my home office and found my old notes. I made eight years ago. Then, I planned to change a lot in their lives and, in particular, to pursue a career as a writer.

Looking through the notes, I smiled, remembering what I then made plans. By the time I visited seventy countries andhas set a goal to visit all one hundred and ninety-three. This goal I did three years ago.

The notes said that I want to write "an important book about the meaning". Not for me to decide, "important" my books or not, but I wanted to say that I am going to seriously take up creative writing. I wanted to create something I will be proud. Since then, as I have outlined this intention, I have already written four books.

I wanted to speak in public, work more in groups. Now every year I speak to thousands of people in different countries.

In the notes there were other big goals, which I complied with or which continue to achieve that, of course, great. But it was also very interesting to see what I then was and such, now completely forgotten — or decided not to chase after them before they go too far.

For example, I had finished my studies at the University of Washington and thought that I want to write a thesis. I sank into a long and laborious process of compiling applications for graduate programs. A few months later, when they began to get replies (mostly failures), I've realized that thesis was not the way in which I should move.

I also wrote thatI want to better know foreign languages. Well, I knew them not so good, and now even worse. There was not that progress, and even regression.

I wrote that I want to run in the Boston marathonthat requires all runners to demonstrate very high performance in a previous marathon. I ran, but to the Boston standards I was where as far. I continue to run several times a week and even ran another marathon, but here as with language skills — eight years ago, I was able to do better.

The goals don't change just because something does not work, the question still interest. I've accepted the fact that I'll never be a polyglot. I can learn enough words to speak politely and correctly, but to achieve fluency in several languages is no longer my goal. The same applies to running: I like running, but I don't see it as a goal. It's just wholesome and good, that's why I'm doing this.

In short, with the same goals I did, but not on others. And not just because I failed, but because over time the purpose has lost importance for me. And this is one of the themes of my new book: successful people do not follow some linear path. They set big goals (and often achieve it), but I am not afraid to change his mind and abandon the goal.

If you believe in something, of course, pursue this goal by all means. No obstacle should stop you. On the contrary, obstacles can motivate you further. So it was with me with my plan to visit every country in the world.

But if you feel like your interest is fading, perhaps it was from the outset an inappropriate goal. Or you have changed, that's okay too. Life is short, and it is more logical to spend time working on what you really believe. published

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: ideanomics.ru/?p=5439

Tags

See also

New and interesting