How much more would you managed to do it, if I could read all the necessary stuff for 1/3 or 1/5 the time that it usually pay? The process of speed reading is the process of control of fine motor skills. Point.
Everything you will read below was written a few years ago and formulated as pompous prose for University students Ivy League, but will surely get you significant results.
The results of the PX project, a single three-hour cognitive experiment, showed an overall increase in reading speed of 386 percent. This method is tested on media in five languages. Even people suffering from dyslexia were able to learn to read technical books at a rate of 3000 words per minute (s/m), or 10 pages per minute. One page in six seconds.
For comparison, the average reading speed in the US is 200-300 s/m (½to 1 page per minute). Bystrocice percentage of the population reads at a speed of 400/m.
Knowing the basic operating principles of the human visual system, can get rid of its natural disadvantages that will help to increase reading speed and improve memorization.To perform exercises and see the results, you will need:
- the book is of a thickness of 200+ pages that need to be put on a flat surface,
- timer (preferably a stopwatch with an alarm clock or kitchen timer).
Do exercises for 20 minutes in a single session.
For a start, say a few terms and characteristics inherent in the reading process.
(A) to increase the reading speed, it is necessary to minimize the number and duration of fixations on each line
We read in a straight line, but rather successive intermittent movements (jumps). Each jump ends with a commit – time delay text in the field for which you're looking. In untrained readers each fixation lasts about ¼ -1/2 of a second.
To understand how this happens, close one eye, touch your finger to the surface of his century, and then slowly start to move the other eye on the horizontal line – you will feel distinct surges and periods of fixation.
B) to increase the reading speed, you need to learn not to go back and reread
Untrained readers spend almost 30 percent of the time reading on regression (conscious rereading) and back jumps (unconscious re-reading of the text at the loss of point of fixation).
C) Use exercise to increase your horizontal peripheral vision and increase the number of words, which are recorded with each commit
Untrained readers during reading focus on the center of the image and not use their horizontal peripheral vision, which is why miss almost 50% of the words during each fixation (the number of words that can be perceived and "read" in each fixation).You:
Will learn the art of speed reading. Learn how to apply this technique at high speed. Learn to check your understanding of the text.
It's individual steps, and your body will be easier to adapt to the new technology, if you're going to address them separately.
For example, do not worry about understanding the text, if you are training motor skills to increase their speed. The correct sequence is:technique -> speed -> the understanding of the text.
You have to practice your technique at a speed three times higher than that with which you want to learn to read. That is, if you read at a speed of 300 words per minute and you want to speed up to 900 words per minute, you have to practice to read 1800 words a minute, or 6 pages per minute (10 seconds per page).
Today we will talk about the two main techniques of speed reading that will teach you:
How to follow the text and ask yourself speed reading. How to extend the field of his perception.
First – Define your source data
to determine your initial reading speed, take the book with which you practice (though it lies open on a table) and count the number of words in 5 lines. Divide the total number of words to 5. The answer you get is the average number of words in each line.
Example: 62 words/5 lines = 12.4, rounded to 12 words in each line. Then count the number of lines to five pages and divide the resulting number by 5 to find the average number of lines on each page. Multiply the answer by the average number of words in each line, and you will know the average number of words on each page.
Example: 154 lines/5 pages = 30.8, rounded to 31 lines on a page x 12 words in each line = 372 words per page.
Mark the first line and start reading. Read exactly one minute – no need to read faster than usual. Read to understand the material. After one minute increase the number of lines by the average number of words per line to determine the speed at which you read at the moment.
The second was How to follow the text and set reading speed
Regression, jumps back, and the duration of fixation can be minimized if you use something to follow the text and ask yourself speed reading.
Did you use pen or finger when counting the number of words and lines in his book? The handle can serve as a complementary tool that helps to monitor the text and manages the efficiency and accuracy of fixation. This allows not to be distracted and it helps in speed reading.
Keep a pen in the dominant hand. Indicate each line (don't take it off pen cap), and fix the eyes on the tip of a pen. This will help you not only to follow the text, but also to maintain the same speed while reading and reduce the duration of fixations. Can keep it as hold, when you write, but it's best to keep her close at hand, closely pressed to the page.
- Technique (2 minutes): use the pen to follow the text and set reading speed. Indicate each line focusing on the tip of a pen. No need to worry about understanding the material. Don't stay in one place for more than 1 second and increase the speed with each new page. Read, but under any circumstances do not waste one line more than one second.
Third, the Extension of perception
- Speed (3 minutes): repeat the exercise. Do not spend on each line more than half a second (2 lines per second). It is possible that you do not understand. This is normal. Maintain speed and technique – you develop the reflexes of perception. This exercise is about speed, the aim of which is to accelerate the adaptation of your system. Don't slow down. Half a second on the line for three minutes. Look at a point above the pen and concentrate on technique and speed. Focus on the exercise. You're such a dreamer.
Even if we focus on the center of the computer screen (the target area of the Central fovea of the eye), your eye still sees, and sees his angles. Training and expanding your peripheral vision, you can increase reading speed by 300 percent.
Untrained readers use about half of the field of his peripheral vision. They move the eyes from the first word to last, spending 25-50 percent of their time to “read” a field on which nothing is written.
As an example, take this sentence:“Once long ago, students enjoyed reading four hours a day.”
If you could start reading at a line with the word “long” and end at “four”, you would miss 6 of 11 words, and double the speed of your reading. This principle is very simple and easy to use.
- Technique (1 minute): use the pen to follow the text and ask yourself the speed of reading one line per second. Start with the second word of each line and ends on the last word before the end of the line. No need to worry about understanding the material. Don't stay in one place for more than 1 second and increase the speed with each new page. Read, but under any circumstances do not waste one line more than one second.
- Technique (1 minute): use the pen to follow the text and ask yourself the speed of reading one line per second. Start with the third word of each line, and ends at the third word to the end of the line.
- Speed (3 minutes): start with at least the fourth word of every line ends at the fourth word to the end. Repeat this exercise and don't spend it one place more than half a second (2 lines per second).
It is possible that you do not understand. This is normal. Maintain speed and technique – you develop the reflexes of perception.
This exercise is about speed, the aim of which is to accelerate the adaptation of your system. Don't slow down. Half a second on the line for three minutes. Look at a point above the pen and concentrate on technique and speed. Focus on the exercise. You're such a dreamer.
Fourth – Calculate new number of words per minute
Mark the first line and read exactly one minute, try to read as quickly as possible, but at the same time comprehending all the information. Multiply the number of stitches on the previously calculated average number of words per line to determine the number of words you can read per minute with the new rate.
Congratulations – you have completed a cursory review of the principles that can be used to accelerate the human cognitive perception (processing and use information).
Also interesting: Schulte Tables: How to develop the skills of speed reading Speed reading: 10 effective methods
if you use speed reading to study, no need to try to read 3 chapters for the time before it would take you to read one. Better read one Chapter 3 times to remember.
Have a nice trip scorefitter!
P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©