5 signs of speech delays about which to worry

Here you have experienced pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and the first year, and think: well, finally, soon to speak, and there will be complete happiness.

I must admit that in my 20s when I thought about motherhood, I saw active, curious, from a three year old child, incessantly chattering incessantly and asking a million questions. I would spend hours could lead him intelligent conversation on the topic of spaceships, furrowing the universe.

The first two years, I can honestly say that I was very strained. At first I did not succeed with potty training, and I, as the decent mother, tried to do it many times, regularly, almost every five months. But I'll tell about it later in details because this is an interesting opinion and experience, worth special attention.

The second point is the total failure of me as a mother is to teach all there is, or at least a lot. My child from infancy showed his character, and he simply refused to eat, he was choking food, every time if it was not what he wanted, and used "will".

I remember in year, under pressure from grandmothers, my mother, where we stayed while in Russia, I practically force fed son buckwheat and chicken, and he ate about five spoons of cereal and a leg of chicken, and then the last piece, I began to choke and spit all eaten with my giant effort.

But the worst of my sin in the eyes of the nearest community was that the son was seriously behind in speech.

Nothing, I told myself, he learns to speak two languages, he talks...

The first time I sounded the alarm 18 months. We came in for regular checks with the nurse, and found that at 18 months it was not something that the first words, and even sounds that would indicate a favorite Cup, plate, food, game, or something else favorite. In fact, he had three favorite words-sound: the car is actually his first word was, it really to year said once “SAG”. Maybe he said it again, but I couldn't tell if it was a word or a spontaneous sound. But he meant always on time and accurately -“brrrrrr”, and this cannot be confused. The same thing happened with the trains and planes. All of his sound words to end.

To two years the son began to repeat the words and even knew some figures. In fact, he could count to 10, and even began to speak. He repeated word for videos in which children were taught to read, and we were happy, breathing out, well, finally, now it will not stop and children's Mimino chatter will flow a river. There it was, a new word, and never anywhere else did not appear.

The third strange, complex and truly thrilling moment was that it seemed thathe didn't understand me. That is, "get in the carriage" "go home", and very familiar phrase, he knew, with the five-hundredth time. However, such requests like "go get Mama", "throw the ball", "lock the doors", "where daddy?" called a total loss, the kid wheeled the car not me, and somewhere to the side, throwing the ball turning away from me, and did everything completely opposite. To force him to comply with the request as it was expected, it was absolutely impossible.

But I kept telling myself that it's bilingual, it's such a character, he is still very small, and in General, that tomorrow he will speak, and immediately begin to understand everything, he can explain everything to the last detail, and all difficulties will be solved by themselves.

I was naive... Naive, like many other parents, believe that children have typical and that speech is when a person pronounces words and sentences by taking speech communications. And this is the gross misconception the same wonderful mom, who had the winning ticket, the other motherhood.

First. The thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. It does not develop by itself, it is a natural and logical continuation of the huge reservoir of human ability to communicate. It turns out that the child first understands the science perfectly, before he could talk.

In other words, if speech development is delayed, then just pay attention to how well the child speaks other non-verbal languages:

• iconic communication (indication of finger, hand, or glance at the object of his desire or interest),
  • sound communication (intonation, exclamations, screams, weeping, he, too, is different, and if you've never heard of a different type of crying your child, in combination with the absence of other communicative skills, it is worth pondering and alert),
  • body language (facial expressions, smile, surprise, curiosity, accompanied by the opinion of an adult – mom, dad, grandmother, educator and a person who cares mostly about the baby).

The second important point which must be borne in mind: even bilingual children do not lag behind in the development of communication, and even if behind, but not much from their peers. If the child does not use regular words in their two-and-a-half years on one or two languages, it can lead to the experts and find out the reasons for the delay.

Third, the child needs to understand simple requests and questions, he can answer non-verbal "Yes-no", shaking his head, but the questions of "this or that", "Yes-no" should not cause him a complete stupor or total loss of orientation at this age.

Then, on top of these signs, it is necessary to impose a basic level of child development at this age, and if there is delay to go to find out their reasons.

Fourth, what I have noticed is that not only autism is delayed speech development and common development. Such neurological disorder is apraxia, dyslexia, etc., also affect the appearance of difficulties.

Apraxia, and autism, are very important in the identification and diagnosis at an early age, simply because an intervention is needed in this case to produce, the sooner the better.

And most importantly, the fifth, which was very hard to do me: it is not to be afraid, to accept that something goes not so, start looking for the cause and be willing to go all the way to the end. For me personally, it was unbearable to accept that the child lags behind. Under the pressure of high expectations and expectations, I was worse of all in the world to justify this trust, to fail life's test, not having received an Oscar for Motherhood. That's why I continued to look for excuses in everything.

In General, keep in mind, and remember, even if your child isn't talking, you can easily understand his speech, but it must be communication. To lead by the hand to the cupboard with the toys or books, raise your hand, showing that he wants your child upstairs or downstairs – not exactly a means of nonverbal communication. And certainly isolated cases are not considered for communication without other non-verbal signs and indicators.

Also interesting: a Psychological test in first grade

How can you compare

Remember, any challenge is an opportunity to reach new heights, experience and adventure.published

Author: Nika Wenham. Son Nicky in 2012 was diagnosed with autism

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: www.nashideti.site/?p=2260

Tags

See also

New and interesting