The roof is made of straw was almost an integral part of the roof of an ancient hut. One of the main reasons why thatched roofs enjoy such popularity is the availability of the material and its good quality. And even today all the positive properties of straw valued, so the material, though not always, but sometimes used as a roofing coating.
This roof is not only attractive and unusual appearance, she's also reliable, durable and capable of creating unique and, of course, a favorable microclimate. Any house with a thatched roof will look very stylish and original.
Today, when the market of building materials with the most modern and innovative designs, many developers, however, often give preference to natural materials. Thanks to the advanced production technology, the roof of straw is characterized not only by strength and significant durability. Evidence of this is its service life which can reach 50 years, which greatly exceeds the life of even some much more expensive and advanced materials. Myths about thatch the roof
Because of the many erroneous opinions regarding the characteristics of straw as a roof covering many of the myths about this material should be dispelled. These include the following:
Advantages of a roof made of straw
- cane or straw roof does not flash from any spark, as mistakenly believed by many. Before you fit the roof made of straw with their hands, the material is pre-treated with flame retardants. So, its Flammability, the material can be compared, for example, popular today with Onduline;
- the roof is made of straw will not become a habitat for mice, which is so feared by many owners, because the material fit tightly, and fixing each individual Smuta to a pole by using wire. In this laying to penetrate under the roof can not only mouse, but also any external moisture;
- the myth that a thatched roof with their hands will look poor and will give the house a view of the village huts. This is not so, in fact, received such widespread today country style is perfectly combined with roof of straw. In addition, the stacking process can be to get creative by running original and unique design.
anyway, thatched roof has a number of positive characteristics, which can make your choice in favor of this roofing:
- the material is extremely environmentally friendly, in the process of operation, he naturally no harmful substances are not allocated; the resulting stacking design is a strong, but lightweight, resulting in load-bearing wall construction of heavy loads is not provided;
- the main raw material for the manufacture of material – straw with long stalks and reeds, which have a low cost and completely affordable. In addition, thatched roof with his own hands would be enough;
- due to the unique properties of straw inside the house at any period of the year, created a favorable climate: in winter the house is warm in the summer – cool.
Thinking over how to make the thatched roof with his own, should be familiar with its other advantages, including Resistance to fire. Thatched roof fits tightly and is pre-impregnated with special flame retardants, so that the risk of fire is minimal. Flame retardants for such coatings are applied in two types: external and internal, so the material is securely protected from all sides. These substances are not washed away, they are also able to provide water resistant protection, so the roof of straw saturated with water even during heavy rains and melting snow. Long operational life. Thatch roofing is very durable; moreover, it is not destroyed under the influence of even the most unpleasant climatic and mechanical effects. This coating is not prone to the appearance of fungi, mould or insects, and the period of service without any repairs could reach half a century. The thatching can be arranged personally. Thus, the average time for laying is about 2 weeks. The construction of the roof is characterized in that it mounted on the ventilation and insulation system is not necessary, since the roof itself is a great regulator. To additionally insulate the roof, not if the thatched roof is laid with a layer thickness of 30 cm under a bias of 45 degrees, since this volume of material would be sufficient to ensure the comfort of the homes. Besides, you get to save significant amounts of electricity. One more significant advantage – low price and availability of the roofing material. No need to mount system for standard roof (steam-, hydro - and thermal insulation, drainage) significantly reduces the cost of coverage, especially in comparison with modern materials and quality, however, remains high. Device features thatched roofs
By way of laying a roof of straw is significantly different from the other popular coatings. Speaking of detail, and that includes roofing the cake out of the straw, it's this:
- plasma crate on the basis of the sheet OSP;
- strap clamp in the center of the ridge; the stiffener under the OSB;
- bundles of straw, fortified with a special pagename;
- covering the ridge of a grid of metal;
- either the shingles, or sheaves of straw on the roof ridge.
The device does not carry any complexity, it is only necessary to properly collect and consolidate bundles of straw on the roof. This material can be used on roofs of any type with any shape. The roof can be a gable, and a semicircular dome. Today, thanks to the work of professional designers can create a truly unique, fashionable and unique design, able to identify structure among the mass of similar buildings and to impress even the most discerning critic. Perform laying of thatch himself is not too difficult, it does not need any special tools, knowledge or skills. Only need to assemble roof system, lay in her crate and Reiki support, which is the main weight. Next, the prepared straw should be collected in bundles. With the help of special blades-chops is forming of the coating layer, so the cover will lie flat and, as a consequence, give the roof a harmonious look. The factors which are important to remember during laying of straw on the roof:
- the material should be solid and have a smooth color, without rot and any signs of erosion;
- the clamping wire is best to use galvanized. The distance of the first clamp away from the bar shall be 200 mm, the second 120 mm after the first, after that, every 260 – 300 mm;
- the locking wire should have a section size of 1 mm;
- thickness, on which is laid a layer of coating depends on parameters of the slope – length and slope. If the inclination does not exceed 40 degrees, and the length is 7 meters, the thickness of the layer can be 22 cm in the center of the ridge and 25 centimeters in the area of the base
To perform the tying sheaves of straw using different methods, but the professionals recommend to carry out this step with wire and screws. published