Sergei Dovlatov: 10 "stories" about the Russian culture

Sergei Dovlatov and photographer Marianne Volkova is the book "Not just Brodsky. Russian culture in portraits and anecdotes." Her wonderful photos of well-known figures of modern Russian culture (France and the Russian Diaspora), made Volkova, this accompanied by the specially written lyrics to them Dovlatov. This book appeared.

From Marianne Volkova were visitors. Including Dovlatov. Marianne showed their work.

Is Baryshnikov, she said,— Yevtushenko, Rostropovich...

Every time Dovlatov monotonously repeated:
I know about his stupid story...

And suddenly it became clear that this is the finished book.

A few "stupid" stories out of it — to "Favorites".

Sergei Dovlatov and Marianna Volkova. New York. 1988

Solomon Volkov

The wolves started out as a violinist. Even headed a string Quartet.
Once applied to the Union of writers:
We would like to speak to Akhmatova. How to do it?

Officials surprised:
— Why Akhmatova?

There are more distinguished writers Miroshnichenko, Sayan, Ketlinskaya...

The wolves decided to act independently. Went with friends to Akhmatova's dacha. Performed a new Quartet by Shostakovich.

Akhmatova listened and said:

I was afraid only that it will ever end...

It's been a few months. Akhmatova went to the West. Received England doctorate. Met with the local intelligentsia.

The British were asking her different questions — literature, painting, music.
Akhmatova said:
— Recently I listened to a stunning opus Shostakovich. To me the cottage came instrumental ensemble.
The British were amazed:
— Did the Soviet Union have so much respect for writers?

Akhmatova thought and said: -

— In General, Yes...

George Balanchine by Solomon Volkov

Andrei Bitov

In my youth, Bits kept aggressive. Especially in a drunken state. And once he hit the poet Voznesensky.

This was not the first case of its kind. And Bitov attracted to a friendly court. Bad was his case.

And then Bits of the speech. He said
— Listen and take an objective decision. But first listen to the whole thing.

I'll tell you how it happened, and then you will understand me. And therefore — I'm sorry. Because I am not guilty. And now it all will be clear. Most importantly, listen to what happened.

— Well, how was it? — asked the judge.
— It was so. I went to "the continental". Is Andrei Voznesensky. Now answer, ' cried Bits— how could I not give him in the face?!..

Joseph Brodsky

Brodsky had a serious operation on the heart. I visited him in the hospital. I must say that Brodsky me, and under normal circumstances suppresses. And then I got all confused.

Lies, Joseph, pale, almost alive. The terms of the instrument, wires and dials. And so I said something completely irrelevant:

— You're sick, and for good reason. And Yevtushenko, meanwhile, opposes collective...

Indeed, something similar took place. Speech by Yevtushenko at the Moscow writers ' Congress was quite decisive. So I said:
— Yevtushenko spoke out against the collective...

Brodsky barely audible said:

— If he is against I — for.

Vladimir Horowitz

Solomon Volkov has written a book "Tchaikovsky for Balanchine". The book was published in English, was a success. It contained interesting information about Tchaikovsky.

Exceptional passion for music showed up at Petit Tchaikovsky in early childhood. He was ready to sit at the piano all day. The parents did not wanted him to overexert himself. Forbade him to play too much.

Then he started banging on the glass. Once got so carried away that the glass breaks. The boy hurt his hand...

Wolves presented a copy of his book to the famous Horowitz. Was quite confident that the Maestro will not read it. Because Horowitz, like many great artists were self-absorbed.

And once with Horowitz interviewed by journalists. And Horowitz said:

"In my childhood, I was ready to sit at the piano all day. Parents didn't want me to overdo. Forbade me to play too much. Then I started banging on the glass. Once got so carried away that the glass breaks. And I hurt my hand..."

The wolves, by telling this story, almost exulted:
— So he finally read my book!

Roman Jakobson

Roman Jakobson was a scythe.

Hand covering his left eye, he shouted to friends:
—The right look! Forget about the left! Right I have the main! And the left — is it a tribute to formalism...

Good to fool around, establishing preliminary whole philological school!..

Jacobson was a gay man. However, not too good. It tells the story of Nabokov.

Nabokov sought the professorial seat at Harvard. All members of the academic Council was over. One Jacobson was against. But he was the President of the Council. His word was decisive.

Finally, colleagues said
— We should invite him. After all, he's a great writer.
— So what?— surprised Jacobson.— The elephant is also big animal. We do not offer him to head the Department of Zoology!

Naum Korzhavin

On the eve of one of the literary conference, I warned:
— Most importantly, do not offend korzhavina.
— Why should I hurt him?
Because Korzhavin he'll hurt you. And you, God forbid, rasporyadites and hurt him. Don't do it.
— Why Korzhavin hurt me?
Because Korzhavin all offended. You are no exception. Therefore, do not react. Korzhavin terribly vulnerable.
I, too vulnerable.
— Korzhavin.
Do not hurt him...

Conference has started. Korzhavina speech lasted four minutes. The first phrase Korzhavin hurt all American Slavists.

He said
— I do not write for Slavists. I write for normal people...

Then Korzhavin hurt the whole city of Leningrad, saying:
— Brodsky is a talented poet, though Leningrad...

Then he said a few barbs in the address Tsvetkova, Limonov and Sinyavsky. Well, I was, of course, touched. Don't want to remember how. In General, it turned out that I was a grabber and shipped.

Well, Voinovich stood up. Voinovich said:
Let Emka I apologize. Just let him apologize properly. And I know EMU. EMA apologizes because:
"Excuse me, but you — shit."

Yuri Lyubimov

Was the shooting of the film "Kuban Cossacks". Young Lyubimov played a small role. Was staged lush farm fair. Fruits, vegetables, balloons. In short, every kind of abundance.

Came some local grandmother and asks Lyubimova:
— Tell me, darling, what kind of life do you represent?..
At this point, says Lyubimov, born of his ideological doubts.

Bulat Okudzhava

It was in the seventies. Bulat Okudzhava was 50 years old. He then was in the doghouse. "Literary newspaper" it is not congratulated.

I decided to send the unknown poet a telegram. Came up with custom text, namely: "Be well, scholar!"

The title of one his early novel.

After a year I had a chance to get acquainted with Okudzhava. And I reminded him about the telegram. I was sure that its non-standard shape remembered by the poet.

It turned out that Okudzhava received in the anniversary days more than a hundred telegrams. Eighty-five of them read: "Be well, scholar!"

Sviatoslav Richter

The Minister of culture Furtseva talked to Richter. Began to complain to him for Rostropovich:
— Why Rostropovich in the country is living this nightmare Solzhenitsyn?! A disgrace!
"Sure enough," said Richter, a disgrace! At them closely. Let Solzhenitsyn live I...

Mikhail Shemyakin

Shemyakina I had known in Leningrad. In ten years we met in America. Shemyakin said:
— What are you huge! .

I replied:

— Are willing to change your increase your earnings...

It's been a few days. Shemyakin was in the company of friends.
Told about our meeting:
"... I say — what are you huge! As Dovlatov said — are willing to change your height to your... (Shemyakin paused)... talent!"

In General, moreover, that the Shemyakin is a wonderful artist. He is also a talented editor...

From: Sergei Dovlatov, Marianna Volkova. "Not only Brodsky. Russian culture in portraits and anecdotes."published

Sergey Kovalev: I have got total immorality

Louise hay: Why don't you get what you want...

Source: izbrannoe.com/news/lyudi/10-duratskikh-istoriy-o-russkoy-kulture-ot-sergeya-dovlatova/

Tags

See also

New and interesting