Creative people say "no"

All of these artists have something in common - attitude towards his vremeni.Nas not taught to say "no." "No" is considered something of a rough, almost an insult. Saying no can only drag dealers and strangers who offer you candy.

Thus the word "no" creative impulse is stronger than any ideas, insights and skills. Refusal of excess extends the time that people can spend on creating something new. The math is simple: you have less time than you think, and you need more than you think.

People who have achieved success in the work, do not think it will take much time. Give interviews, write a letter, watch a movie, have dinner with someone uninteresting. They think about how much it takes creativity. How many I have not will build up until I will not say "no"? The picture? Paragraph? Twenty lines of code? "Yes" means to create less. Because we originally not so much time as we would like. We still have time to fill the car, buy groceries, take the time to the family and the main work.

One day in 1998, in response to repeated invitations to star in commercials Apple, actor Sean Connery wrote Finally, Steve Jobs the following letter:

« Dear Mr. Jobs! I repeat once again. You do understand English, do not you? I'm not going to sell his soul or Apple, or any other company. And I'm not interested in having to "change the world" as you offer me. And you do not do what I needed and what I wanted. Are you a seller of computers, and I'm damn James Bond! It's hard to imagine a faster way to ruin his career than the appearance of your wacky promotional materials. Please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Sean Connery em> ».

Interesting fact. When the Hungarian psychology professor planned to write a book about creative people, he sent 275 requests for interviews. A third is simply not answered - were so busy. A third refused:

writer and consultant Peter Drucker
«One of my secrets to productivity (which, I believe, in" creativity "is not) - it's a huge, not even GIANT basket, which I throw out all the invitations such as yours. In my understanding, the productivity is not to do what I want from other people, and devote time to the work for which I have a purpose and talent over ». Em>

The secretary of the writer Saul Bellow
«Mr. Bellow's seen fit to inform me that in the second half of his life he remained an active writer in part due to the fact that does not allow himself to be distracted by questions like yours». em>

Photographer Richard Avedon
«I'm sorry - I have left too little time». em>

Secretary composer George Ligetti
«George quite active writes music, and as a result, totally overworked. He can not help you write your book for the study of creative people. He also asked to apologize because he could not answer your letter personally - busy writing a concerto for violin, which should be completed before the autumn ». Em>

Time - a raw material for creativity. If you remove all the nonsense about "creativity" in the bottom line will only practical work, through which people can find solutions to problems, the process of thinking, thinking, in fact, what is called "a new creation." Creativity takes time, entire days of the week, 24 hours a day, and does not know such words as "vacation" or "Weekend».

Creation of new products, ideas and works, it is not a process that can be turned on and off according to schedule. Creative people spend all their time on the job.

Charles Dickens once wrote to his friend in response to his invitation
«I do not write," It is only half an hour! "" It only takes one night. " But they do not understand that I can not command himself aside for five minutes and then immediately return to work, and just meeting could excite me so much that I can not write a single line of the day. Anyone who is engaged in this creative work, should do it all the time, finding his calling in this. I feel sorry for what you suspect me that I do not want to see you, but I can not help here; I have my own way and I'll go for it, regardless of the desires of other people ». em>

Sometimes "no" makes us rude, selfish, antisocial, alone. But "no" is what causes us to continue to create.

Author: Kevin Ashton

See also:
Mediasketizm
Wisdom from the 70-year-old father in Twitter
20 things you should know in 20 years

via www.adme.ru/articles/20-veschej-kotorye-sleduet-znat-v-20-let-396255/

Tags

See also

New and interesting