journalist, writer and blogger Annie Mueller wrote this confession knigomana. A Website has translated it for you.
- I want to confess. I am dependent.
It occurs almost throughout my life. Ever since I was a child. I should like to ask for help. But I will not.
I just go back to the bookstore. I'll be back to the library. I'll be back to my endless queue of e-books. I'll be back to my crowded shelves.
They know me. They love me. It has everything that I need. Why should I stop?
And why do not you start? When you read the more life changing. Here's how it happens.
1. You can find a safe way to escape from the failures, stress and boredom of their lives.
No need to turn to pills or alcohol. Save your money. Buy a book or start downloading a few of the thousands of e-books that are freely available. Wrap in history. Get lost in another world. Migrated from his head in the head character.
It's fast. It is economical. This is mobile: your personal escape route when the world is becoming prohibitively difficult.
And who will look down on you for just reading books? I will not tell anyone what is really going on. I promise.
2. You will find that you have semya.Ladno, I know. Do you have parents and possibly brothers and sisters, and even a crowd of aunts and uncles and grandparents.
And maybe no.
Maybe you feel alone in this world. Leave.
Are you really such, or simply feel that does not fit into his own family - you can become an avid reader, and find new relatives.
This is a global, fully open and really lovely family.
This family of readers. Bibliophiles. Literary addicts. Bibliophiles. Become one of us and you will gain soul mates in every corner of the globe. Of course, we have a signal akin to a family secret handshake. Just get the book and start reading. This is all that is required.
We'll see you.
We'll find out.
We are always near when you will need it.
3. You will be part of the global razgovora.Knigi timeless - it is the way in which the past speaks to us. It is also a way of communication between cultures, countries, social classes and groups.
Books allow us to enter into other worlds of life and unobtrusively, but with a full immersion.
Yes, it's amazing.
Have you ever wanted to be someone else, go somewhere else, to experience something that you can not experience in their own lives?
All this is in the books. Are you still waiting for?
4. You will learn to speak krasivo.Chtenie is the most painless way to fill up your vocabulary, improve spelling and grammatical competence to expand.
Read more, and you can smugly chuckle when your friends are mistakes in the status of social networks. You will be able to correct them. You will be grammatically Tyrant, as always dreamed of.
5. You will love turns, stops and facilities ozhidaniya.Eto may become a turning point in your life, really. Instead of impatiently shifting from foot to foot, panting and sighing or express your anger and frustration any socially acceptable way, you can just ... read.
You only get your hands an interesting book out of his pocket or bag, and you appear entertainment, communication and intellectual stimulation - all in one bottle.
My friend says that reading gives it "the ability to be happy at any time, in any place, even when the waiting lasts intolerably long time».
This superpower, which everyone needs.
6. You will become more enjoyable chelovekomVozmozhno, you do not really even want to become more pleasant, but the surrounding exactly will not mind.
Perhaps you've never been a victim of racism, violence or poverty. Maybe you do not know what it is - to suffer from unrequited love. Perhaps it's easier to criticize than to sympathize.
Reading does not change it completely (my "kritikometr" still in good condition, and that after decades of continuous reading), but it will help you think twice before condemning.
And do not hesitate to sympathize.
Because when you experience other lives through the book, you start to see some life in the world around you. Life, which you did not know before.
You have a little more understanding. A little more interest. A little less "us versus them" and much more "we are all together».
7. You uznaete.Dazhe much if you're reading fiction, you can learn quite a lot about the cultural influence, relationships, history, fear, human psychology, various manifestations of the spirit, the consequences of the war, the way in which the robots take over the world, and some tips, thanks superheroes who manage to keep their coats clean.
This is all very useful information.
Want to know more? Read the scientific and popular literature. Biographies, history, books on current events. Just kidding, books on current events can miss. Instead, they read historical literature - so you learn a lot more about the present.
Philosophy. Psychology. Memoirs. Books "do it yourself". If you are interested in something, you can find a book about it. Or a whole section of books.
And if you can not find - maybe you should write it?
8. You will find that were dumber than dumali.V a time when you were not yet addicted to reading, you felt that the judge sufficiently open mind, right?
Come on, admit it. I will not laugh.
You think you know a lot, has a broad outlook on life and a fairly accurate idea of how the world works.
Then you start to read.
Perhaps the first book is not so changed the situation. They probably safe to keep you in the comfort zone. And then one of the new member of your family reading advise you something.
"You have to read it - he said. - It's great. True ».
You have done so.
And suddenly you realize that what you thought so familiar, really known what you were 200% sure, in fact, not so. And if you feel like your brain begins to crack.
And when crack hit the light, you see the true state of your mind: the dim, dusty, crowded lots of assumptions.
You keep reading and cracks getting bigger. One after another, these assumptions disappears. Light becomes larger. The air is purified.
You began to settle in your mind different things: pictures, talking, ideas and information. Poetry. Fragments of life that you have experienced through books. Emotions that did not belong to you, but you feel like your own. Real things in the real world instead of the garbage assumptions and expectations.
9. You will discover a creative nachalo.Kogda you fill your mind with fresh material of all these books, something wonderful begins to happen.
Your mind is awake.
In fact, creativity - is the ability to create links. All those people whose ingenuity we admire, is engaged in the creation of relationships. They have an extensive database, and they do not worry about the separate storage of information. They allow poetry seep into science. They allow faith and stories hang together.
They understand that the categories can overlap one another. We used to hang labels on things, it gives us the illusion of understanding, but it is often counterproductive.
Reading helps break tags.
Reading helps you fill in mind any number of sources and to allow all the wonderful things mingle and create something new.
10. You will develop the imagination and will no longer be afraid strannym.Kogda you read the book, which is the product of someone's imagination, you begin to have more confidence in their own and use it.
What a great idea - to use the brain in all its crazy, frightening, tremendous potential.
Reading will help you with this. If you think you are strange, just start reading something from the field of science fiction and surrealism (or surrealistic fiction), and soon you will feel the most normal person in the world.
Of course, you want to read more. And you'll do it. And then your own imagination mix old with real life, add it to your unique collection of information, experience and education. Who knows where this will lead?
Do not you want to know?
So why do you still have not opened a book?