After this article you will understand why you need to read the book. Our future depends on reading!

Today many do not like to read, and, moreover, even manage to be proud of it. Nothing but regret these people do not call because the presence of consciousness and abstract thought - is what distinguishes man from animal. Probably, it is difficult to dispute the fact that this reading helps develop abstract thinking and imagination.

A year ago, a famous writer Neil Gaiman gave a lecture in London, aims to show the importance of reading and the importance of libraries in the modern world.

«important for people to declare on which side they are and why, and whether they are biased. A sort of a declaration of user interests. So, I'll talk to you about reading. I'm going to tell you why the library is important. I'm going to assume that reading fiction, reading for pleasure - this is one of the most important things a person can do. I'm going to encourage people to understand what libraries and librarians, and to keep them. I>

I am extremely biased, and it is obvious that I am a writer, often writing fiction. I write for children and adults. More than thirty years, I do for a living words, arranging and recording them. Obviously, in my best interest for people to read in their interests - reading fiction, in the interests of libraries and librarians - to exist and strengthen the love of reading and places where you can read. I>

In general, I'm biased as a writer. i>

But more than that I am biased as a reader. And even more so - as a citizen of the UK. I>

Reading changes us. And this is the change and then reading that I would like to discuss today. I want to tell, what good does reading. I>

One day, being in New York, I heard talk about the construction of private prisons - a fast-growing industry in America today. Prison industry needs in terms of growth: how many cameras they need to build? How many prisoners will be in 15 years? And you know, they can predict it is very easy using a simple algorithm, based on the question: how many 10 and 11 year olds can not read? And, of course, can not read for pleasure? I>

Of course, things are not so clear: we can not say that in literate societies there is no crime. But there is a very real correlation. I>

And I think that some of these correlations occur for a simple reason: educated people read fiction. i>

Literature has two applications. Firstly, it is a drug jump to read. The desire to know what happens next, want to turn the page, read, even if it is very difficult, because someone is in trouble and you need to know how this is all over ... i>

... this is a very strong desire. It forces you to learn new words, to think in a new way to continue. To learn that reading itself is enjoyable. And if you realize this, you are on the path to reading all. A couple of years ago there was a rumor that we live in a post-literary society in which the ability to understand the words - is superfluous, but those days are gone. Words are more important than ever that we focus in the world with words, and in that time, as the world slides on the network, we need to follow, communicate and understand what we read. I>

There are people who can not understand each other and can not share ideas, can not communicate, and translation software are powerless here. i>

The only way to grow a certain literate children - teach them to read and show that reading - a pleasant pastime. It means find a book they like, give them access and allow them to read. I>

I do not think there is such a thing as a "bad book" for the child. It is fashionable among adults indicate the kind of children's books, genre or author and proclaim their bad books and warn children from reading. I've seen it again and again - dozens of authors were victims of this attitude, and comics are accused of promoting literacy. I>

This is nonsense. This snobbery, and it is nonsense. I>

There are no bad children's authors. Children, like you, want to read and find new, because every child is different. They can find those stories that they want, and enter yourself in any story. Beaten and worn ideas are not for children. This is the first time a child is faced with them. Do not let children read because you feel that they are reading something wrong. Books that you do not like - drug jump to other books that you might like. Not everyone has the same taste as you. I>

Well-intentioned adults can easily destroy the child's love of reading: to forbid them to read what they have, or give them a dignified but empty literature that like - the equivalent of 21 century Victorian "improvement" of literature. They bred a generation confident that reading - is not cool and does not bring pleasure. I>

The second thing that makes literature - it helps to develop compassion. In reading, we present what is written with simple letters, present yourself in the place of heroes of the book, we understand that each of them - individual. And compassion - that is what helps society to interact and behave not as samouvlechennye individuals. I>

And one more important thing that you will see by reading: the world should not be the way it is. Things can be different. I>

The literature can show you another world, take you where you've never visited, and once having been there, you will want to change this world for the better. i>

Another way to destroy love child to read - make sure that there are no books around and no place where he could read. I was lucky that where I grew up, there was a great library, and every morning during the summer holidays, I went there. And when I read children's books, I set to adults. I>

There were excellent librarians who like books and enjoy being read. They had no snobbery in relation to what I am reading. I>

But the library - is freedom. Freedom to read, free exchange of ideas, freedom of communication, freedom of access to information. And I am concerned that in the 21st century people do not understand what the library. i>

The information has a price, and the right information - priceless. Every two days, humanity is now producing as much information as produced with the dawn of time until 2003. Library - a place where people come for information. Books - a tip of the iceberg in the library, for example, a person who does not have a computer can get online for free, which is very important if you are looking for a job. And librarians, as before, help the person navigate the world. I>

I do not believe that all the books perekochuyut screens. Once, long before the invention of e-books, they told me that the book - like a shark. Sharks are very ancient: they were in the sea long before the dinosaurs. And the reason why the sharks are still there - nothing and no one can be the best shark than the shark. It's the same with books: they are good at their "book-learning", and the library - a place for them. I>

Literacy is very important in today's world of e-mails and SMS. We need to be able to read and write, to be connected. i>

I hope we can give our children a world in which they can and will want to read, if we want them to grow up educated and active people ». i>

With these words, hard to disagree. No wonder they say that the book - it is the best cure for a bad mood. In today's world stress it is very important to keep yourself in good shape.

Share this information with your friends, so that more people want to develop.

readingagency.org.uk/news/blog/neil-gaiman-lecture-in-full.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting