US researchers have deduced the form of seaweed flavored bacon

Dulce i>

Researchers at Oregon State University, вывели and patented a new strain of algae palmaria palmata, known as Dulce. A new species of algae is translucent, has a red color, contains a lot of protein and is growing rapidly. But its main feature - fried Dulce has a taste and smell of bacon.

It's funny that the original purpose was to introduce biologists feed for shellfish called "abalone" who appreciate Asian gourmets. Original Dulce grows wild in the North Pacific and Atlantic oceans. For centuries, the algae used in food as a snack, and as a rich source of dietary fiber (especially in Iceland). The earliest mention of the use of it in food was made 1,400 years ago.

Work on the breeding of new strains of algae was conducted for 15 years Chris Langdon and his team of scientists. The resulting algae looks like a translucent red lettuce. It contains many minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, and its dry weight is contained as much as 16% protein.

Abalone i>

The technology of growing Dulce and abalone ( abalone ) on an industrial scale has already been successfully tested in Hawaii by Big Island Abalone Corporation. On the use of myl Dulce as food Langdon stumbled his colleague, looking for a new material to work with their students.

So far, no one has yet picked up the cultivation of algae for sale as a food or food supplement, but the experiments, which involved several chefs Portland, confirmed the great potential of seaweed as a new food.

The original Dulce i>

"In Europe, it is added as a powder in a smoothie, and sprinkle them with food, - said Langdon. - Fresh it has not used. But to get a unique thing. When you fire it, I have personally done, it tastes just like bacon, and not as algae. And he has quite a strong smell of bacon ».

Vegetarians rejoice.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/258964/

Tags

See also

New and interesting