Keyboard, the idea of ​​two hands

Having studied the works of such well-known modders as Filimon and Datamancer, I went to work. Just want to say that although I am not complaining about the complete lack of imagination, but I like to get a predictable result. So before you take up an instrument, I tried to simulate what I want to get in the end. Another feature of this project is that all the software that I used to work, is open source and free: OS - Debian testing, software - Blender, LibreCAD, Inkscape.
So my idea was to make the keyboard in a wooden case, first of all I need to know the cross section of wooden pieces that I need. Carefully measuring the keyboard donor, I sat down to drawing and modeling.

Drawn two-dimensional projection, I set about modeling in 3D.

Thus, the appearance of the device loomed and it's time to implement it in wood and brass. The material of the housing has been selected ash and oak veneer for linings.

Keyboard donor in the final should be between two plates of veneered MDF. Seatings are carefully measured the keys and on the basis of the data was compiled in drawing LibreCAD. According to him will be cut holes in the MDF-plate.

Green LEDs bydi removed and in their place were soldered LEDs larger size, giving a warm, lamp glow. To LEDs looked even warmer and lamp, for they had made brass plates.

Referring to the drawings were commissioned pieces of wood needed sections which were subsequently treated with hands holding tool. Referring to the drawings the same.

In the device, by the way, was supposed to USB-hub holes which were immediately are milled. Also under the aforesaid was made brass plates.

The whole construction will be contracted pins, but I absolutely did not want to share from my stuck nuts and studs ends, so I decided to make a decorative brass buttons.

As for the keys, I had an option to make them out of buttons, but I decided that this is not tru. Therefore round keys were machined from brass rod and oblong - forged from a brass plate.

Individual cases by a "space". It consists of three spayanyh blanks.

Lining the keys were cut from black glossy plastic. Letters and symbols applied by laser engraving.

After all the preparatory work, the details have been carefully sanded, refinished, revealed several layers of stains and Polace (also in several layers). After assembling all began to look something like this.

In addition was also made Case.

The dream came true, but now there is an irresistible desire to raise the bar higher. There are many ideas, in addition, to challenge myself very interesting. Wish me success.
P.S. The answer to many questions: as a donor to use the keyboard Defender Accent 930.

Tags

See also

New and interesting