Head-Up Display for any machine - how to drive safely in poor visibility

That trio of movies that I think of first when it comes to projections and holograms - "Star Wars", "Minority Report" and "Iron Man." My opinion about augmented reality - it's cool and let the two. Between me and the helmet Tony Stark intimacy is about the same as between Peter I and the Moon, but his path to the AR in real life I have tried - on Opel Corsa, in bad weather, far beyond the MKAD, with an application Hudway. Maybe not the first, but I'll write how it was.

The principle of the application is simple enough that it is unclear how this nobody did before. In general, any car owner ( read: the one who has the iPhone and Machine i>) gets the opportunity to use the Head-Up Display-technology without extra costs.

It almost space - picture of the road, with all its twists and turns, is projected in real time on the windshield. The idea is to make driving in poor visibility safer - the picture of the road right in front of the driver and the person in a way that is perceived very easily. Well, with the focus of the projection onto the road and back is no more difficult than with the speedometer - and I look at it very often. Yes, for the top segment of car is not new - BMW, Audi and several other automakers are offering Head-Up Display as embedded option. But for all other HUD-software that does not require a separate iron - this is a very cool idea.

This is a real video work: h4> // player.vimeo.com/video/76496745 video>

To be quiet and co-driver - http://vimeo.com/97818548

But first things first
Set Hudway is free. Probably because the application uses Google Maps and Public Open Street Map. In Android-supported version also Yandex.maps.

Getting started is easy - run, choose where to go and click the button "Start". Go to the HUD-mode and we place the phone on the dashboard. Now the projection of the route and the speed of the vehicle is displayed on the windshield.

It looks really cool - at night or in poor visibility ( heavy rain, dense fog i>), since the projection of the day just is not visible - the brightness of the smartphone is not enough.

But the day you can focus just on the voice prompts - in my head quickly builds up a picture, how many meters of the next turn, where to steer and when it's time to slow down. If permit adjustment speed accelerometer data obtained significantly more accurate than when using only GPS.

Even the basic functionality of the application is enough for the average user, but the voice prompts - a good thing, it's worth a try in action. I'm not sorry 30 rubles and tried PRO mode with voice, customization and other buns - wanted to test another kind of road. Normal flight, the point on the road when approaching a turn - a good idea. Plus, there was something to surprise friends when meeting :)

About the price

In practice, the projection of the road on the glass ( Head-Up Display i>) really helps to drive in bad weather ( rain, fog, snowstorm i>) and in the dark outside the city - especially on unfamiliar winding road, where there is no light. Especially good if you travel between cities - in fact, in such a situation and tried. Tired less, and generally somehow comfortable. In short, if you do not have full-time navigator, then do not buy his app will allow less strain in conditions of poor visibility, and to know in advance about upcoming turns and dangerous places.

There are all sorts of things such as additional social sharinga marshuta, results table and so on. - I wonder someone is useful, but not primary, so do not stop.

Fly in the ointment
Hudway, indeed, a very good app. But while it does have its downsides. First and foremost, do not even entered in the application, and the need to buy a special mat that will not allow the phone to slide on the dash. And even in this case, you can use Hudway not all machines, due to the specific design of the panel.

Another minus - sometimes unusual interface: when the different menus and options panel appears and the left and right, and on top - it's confusing at first.

The third drawback - lack of opportunities to build and rebuild routes offline. Here, it seems, will have to wait until the developers will find a solution.

Where to download?
As I said - the app is free in the basic functionality, but for an extra bun will have to pay.

Ссылка on the Apple Store for ayFonchikov Link HB Google Play Market for phones on Android < br /> PS: Please do not ban immediately - the developers of my friends, but the fact it does not. Tried to write objectively. I>

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/230859/

Tags

See also

New and interesting