20 years of "True Lies": Five things you might not know

"True Lies" - a remake
Hollywood figures have always loved stories borrow from European and Asian cinema, and "True Lies" - one of the most striking examples of this symbiosis.
Shortly before the release of "Terminator 2" in the rental, the house of James Cameron's phone rang. "I have a project for you - in the handset's voice sounded Arnold Schwarzenegger. - I've watched a movie and the main character seemed to me very amusing ».
Ribbon, which so interested Arnie was a French comedy by Claude Zidi "total surveillance", tells the story of a secret agent, so well hidden behind a boring job its main activity, that his marriage began to crumble.

Cameron loved the film, and he began working on the script of the American remake. Meanwhile, the screens out "Last Action Hero", which became a huge failure for Arnold, and then Jim wondered - what does he do with the impending costly tape?
"At first I was very nervous, but then began to wonder - why did not shoot the film in theaters? - He recalls. - My theory is that the producers have made a mistake with the audience: they hoped to attract fans of Arnie and at the same time - to laugh at them. This ruined the tape ».
Taking into account the errors John McTiernan, Cameron hired a team of writers to come up with witty jokes for a picture. In the end, the director was dissatisfied with their work and completely rewrote the script, leaving only two jokes from a set of scenario - one of them just was legendary: "You're fired".
Producer of "OPERATION" ARGO "" in the role geek
Few remember that the future business partner George Clooney and producer of "Operations" Argo "Grant Heslov was once an actor. For a long time he appeared in small roles in movies and on TV, and in "True Lies" he got probably the most memorable party a reliable partner of the protagonist - Faisal programmer.
"You know, I still learn through this film - he recalls. - Actually, Faisal - it's probably the coolest role that I have played. Work with Cameron - a miracle, like in paradise proved. We shot for about six months, and I spent a lot of time with him - an incredible experience ».
Jodie Foster AND OTHER female candidate for the lead role
The choice of actress for the lead female role was given to Cameron challenging director, known for his love of strong heroines, felt that the spouse of the superspy "True Lies" was something similar to his own mother, and was very afraid to make a mistake with the casting.
"My mother has always been a fighter - he says. - She never asked for help from anyone - to some extent this was due to her medical practice. Plus, she raised five children, how not to become a military leader? »
Director himself has always claimed that he wrote the script with an eye on Jamie Lee Curtis, but history remembers a completely different names: first choice for the role of Helen was Jodie Foster, who became interested in the script, but declined due to scheduling conflicts.

Among the candidates were also called names Ellen DeGeneres (after sampling Cameron thought it "too funny"), Isabella Rossellini ("too Italian") and Kyra Sedgwick (refused to participate in the project, because he considers himself too young for the role).
Stanley Kubrick and "True Lies»
When James Cameron was 14 years old, he saw "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Stanley Kubrick, and realized who wants to become. Years later, the director began to closely communicate with the master, and, after finishing installation "True Lies", took a copy of the tape to Kubrick in England.
"I was so flattered, they say, wow, Stanley Kubrick wanted to see my movie! - Smiling, he says. - Turns out, he does so many! Kubrick in life - like a vampire, absorbing ideas from people. He liked to invite someone and literally suck their mind without the rest ».
Cameron and Kubrick spent the whole day in the basement of the house of the master, considering the tape frame by frame on the pasteboard: Stanley wanted to understand how he was able to do this or that effect. However, until now it remains a mystery - like whether or not the Kubrick film.
CONTINUED
Continuation of "True Lies" was developed from the late 90's - it was assumed that it was Arnold closes his acting career, but the September 11 attacks on the sequel to put the cross.

"I let go of the project - says writer Jeff Eastin. - For me it was an incredible experience. James Cameron and Steven Spielberg have always been my heroes, on whose tapes I grew up. And the opportunity to work with Jim side by side for a half years - this is something incredible. He's not one of those people who procrastinate the same idea - if it comes to mind is something new, it is easy to forget all the old notions. Alas, when September 11 happened, our project is dead, and it's completely understandable ».
Anyway, the rumors about the picture is for 10 years - first Schwarzenegger stirs interest his return to the cinema, then himself, Cameron began developing the series based on the "True Lies", but it does so and has not ended.
"We have been discussing this project and concluded that a comedy about terrorists no longer funny, - said the director in a recent online chat. - And we will continue to raise this issue ».

Source: filmz.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting