"True Lies" and its prehistory

July 15, 1994 American action comedy screens blew James Cameron, tells of a rather unusual geek who, to the dismay of his wife, is a secret agent. On the 20th anniversary of the "True Lies" we have decided to recall some facts from the history of one of the most unusual film "King of the world».

4 photos.
via

"True Lies" - a remake

Hollywood figures have always loved to borrow themes from European and Asian cinema, and "True Lies" - one of the most striking examples of this symbiosis.

Shortly before the release of "Terminator 2" rent, home of James Cameron's phone rang. "I have a project for you - sounded the voice on the phone Arnold Schwarzenegger. - I've watched one film, the main character seemed to me very amusing ».

Tape, which is so interested Arnie was a French comedy by Claude Zidi "total surveillance", tells the story of a secret agent, so well hidden behind a boring job its main activity, that his marriage began to crumble.

Cameron liked the movie, and he began working on the script for the American remake. Meanwhile, the screens out "Last Action Hero", became a huge failure for Arnold, and then Jim thought - what to do with the upcoming expensive tape?

"At first I was very nervous, but then began to wonder - why the film did not shoot at the box office? - He recalls. - My theory is that the producers made a mistake with the audience: they expected to attract fans Arnie and at the same time - to laugh at them. This ruined the tape ».

Taking into account the errors John McTiernan, Cameron hired a team of writers to come up with witty jokes for a picture. As a result, the director was unhappy with their work and completely rewrote the script, leaving only two of the scenario set of jokes - one of them happened to be legendary: "You're fired".

Thierry Lhermitte, Miou-Miou and Eddy Mitchell - prototypes of the heroes of "True Lies»

PRODUCER "Operation" ARGO "" in the role geek

Few remember that the future business partner George Clooney and producer of "Operations" Argo "Grant Heslov was once an actor. For a long time he appeared in small roles in movies and on TV, and in "True Lies," he got probably the most memorable party of a reliable partner of the protagonist - Faisal programmer.

"You know, I still learn through this picture - he recalls. - In fact, Faisal - this is probably the coolest role that I have played. Work with Cameron - is a miracle, like in paradise turned out. We shot for about six months, and I spent a lot of time with him - an incredible experience ».

Jodie Foster AND OTHER female candidate for a major role

The choice of actress for the lead female role was given Cameron challenging director, known for his love of strong heroines, felt that the wife of the superspy "True Lies" was something similar to his own mother, and was afraid to make a mistake with the casting.

"My mother has always been a fighter - he told me. - She never asked for help from anyone - to some extent this was due to her medical practice. Plus, she raised five children, how not to become a military leader? »

Director himself has always maintained that he wrote the script with an eye on Jamie Lee Curtis, but history remembers very different names: the first choice for the role of Helen was Jodie Foster, who became interested in the script, but declined due to conflicting schedules.

Among the candidates were also called names Ellen DeGeneres (after sampling Cameron considered it "too funny"), Isabella Rossellini ("too Italian") and Kyra Sedgwick (refused to participate in the project because it felt too young for the role).

Jamie Lee Curtis had all the data, to dance the same dance

Stanley Kubrick and "True Lies»

When James Cameron was 14 years old, he saw "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Stanley Kubrick, and realized who wants to become. Years later, the director began to closely communicate with the master, and finished installation "True Lies", took a copy of the tape to Kubrick to England.

"I was so flattered, they say, should be the same, Stanley Kubrick wanted to see my movie! - Smiling, he said. - It turns out that he does so many! Kubrick in life - like a vampire, absorbing ideas from people. He liked to invite someone and literally suck their mind without a trace ».

Cameron and Kubrick spent the whole day in the basement of the master, considering the tape frame by frame on the pasteboard: Stanley wanted to understand how he managed to do this or that effect. But still remains a mystery - like whether or not Kubrick film.

CONTINUED

Continuation of "True Lies" was developed from the late '90s - it was assumed that it was Arnold closes his acting career, but the September 11 attacks on the sequel to put a cross.

"I let go of this project - says writer Jeff Eastin. - For me it was an incredible experience. James Cameron and Steven Spielberg has always been my heroes, on whose tapes I was growing up. And the opportunity to work with Jim side by side on one and a half years - is something incredible. He's not one of those people who procrastinate the same idea - if he comes to my mind is something new, it is easy to forget all the old notions. Alas, when September 11 happened, our project is dead, and it's completely understandable ».

Anyway, there were rumors about the film for 10 years - first Schwarzenegger fueled interest in his return to the cinema, and then himself, Cameron began developing the series based on the "True Lies", but it does so and has not ended.

"We have been discussing this project and concluded that the comedy about terrorists is no longer funny, - said the director in a recent online chat. - And we will not continue to raise this issue ».

I have everything, enjoy !!!

The story ended in 1994

Tags

See also

New and interesting