American schoolgirl in "Artek"

It all began in the autumn of 1982 with a small letter written by 11-year-old girl from a small town of Manchester, Maine - The leader of a world power. By the time the Soviet Union regarded the ocean only as "evil empire." Little schoolgirl frightened possibility of war between the two superpowers, in a letter delivered question point-blank: "... I would like to know why you want to conquer the world or at least our country? God created the earth that we all lived together in peace and not war. "

A few months later a letter published in the newspaper "Pravda", while another three - Samantha received a welcome response from Yuri Andropov, which was invited to visit the Soviet Union in the summer. "Do you recognize our country, meet with peers, having been in the international camp, kids - in Artek on the sea. And she was convinced: the Soviet Union all - peace and friendship between peoples ", - these words ended his letter to the secretary general.

Samantha went with my parents to the USSR 7 July 1983. In the 2 weeks that the Smith family spent in the Soviet Union, Goodwill Ambassador visited Moscow, Leningrad and the country's chief pioneer camp "Artek". The TV program "Time" even had a separate heading, in which every day about staying Samantha about her impressions and meetings with peers.

Knowing so much attention from the authorities, the media and the public, in Artek prepared for the visit of an American seriously completely rebuilt dining room, prepared the best room. And the main thing - to pick up two friends who are fluent in English, so guests do not feel lonely. Anyone who had to deal with Samantha, have passed strict instructions "on how to behave, not to go around in a telephoto camera, not to talk about anything with enemy correspondents, political information was carried out."

The counselors, in turn, tried to protect their children from trying to take pictures, ask for autographs and forbade stick at trifles. Children strict orders executed, but without attention to the young pigeon of the world does not remain for a moment.

"... In Artek greeted us with songs of several hundred children dressed in festive pioneering form. The band played, and the pioneers of chanting my name. I am dismayed and could not utter a word. I was approached by the young dancer, who carried a loaf of bread with a little salt shaker. Their dance was like a scene from the ballet, and for a moment I again felt like a dream ... "- Samantha will write later in his book" Journey to the Soviet Union ».

Samantha lived in the camp "Marine", the oldest and considered the best of all ten. It was there, in the ground and settled foreign delegations. Girl prefer not to live with their parents in a separate building, and the children in the unit. Her roommate, and later a friend was Natasha Kashirina. Young Leningradku Samantha have settled because of her fluent English, which she studied early childhood. At first my mother -uchitelnitsey and then in a specialized school. The second young American girlfriend became counselors Olga Sahatova.

The American was very curious and lost sight of even the details. According to Olga, such as the dining room, she saw a boy in a dirty shirt and asked him why he did not change. And the counselor had to get out, explaining that it is a creative child - loves to draw. She could not tell Samantha that Artek clothes are changed every 10 days, and some get a shirt with faded spots. However, she was wearing an American form of pleasure every 4 days. She was almost the only time allowed Artek suit to take with them as a souvenir. In addition, foreign guests forgave truancy "absolute." That is a pioneer in the local slang called quiet time.

Afternoon nap girl sacrificed for the sake of recreation on the sea. Indeed, in the busy schedule of the young ambassador of the world - swimming in the sea it was planned only once.
All regular time held meetings, events, survey, interviews, and even Samantha press conference with children from all camps. Counselors this meeting remembered how the young American a long time trying to explain on fingers, what are her favorite game of baseball.

Samantha in a tie, the ruler saluted in his cap, on the sea in a bathing suit. Artek photos bypassed all world news agencies. It was not in the year of the child nor the more popular in the Soviet Union or on the other side of the ocean. It does not end after this glory, because since then, as the angel by the name of Samantha flew over the ocean, like stitching Russia and America - there is a new expression "children's diplomacy". We smiling girl called "little dove of peace" in her homeland, "the girl to break the" iron curtain ". Before leaving home July 22 young American he smiled at cameras and smiling shouted in Russian: "We will live!».

Alas, she could live a little, just two years. Samantha Smith with his father was killed in a plane crash August 25, 1985 ....
A year later, in Artek perpetuate her memory. In the camp of the "sea" near the old olive grove appeared Alley Samantha Smith with a memorable granite stones.
Mother Samantha Jane Smith in 2005 at 80 anniversary of Artek

Source: crimeahistor.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting