New developments in the field of bionics allow run and dance

Hi, Habr! This is my second post on Habre, I've been thinking about what to write for an audience surprise Habra quite difficult: many speak foreign languages ​​and regularly read foreign sources. After many doubts, I decided to choose the theme of bionics. Promising direction.

Actually, I'll start with a couple of photos:

It looks like the development of prosthetic team Hugh Herr of MIT

Hugh Herr is the leader of the group «Biomechatronics research group» in the famous laboratory «MIT Media Lab». This is one of those cases where a person is a role model: he lost his legs when he was 17 years old, but instead of complaining about your life and ride a wheelchair, he is engaged in the development of prostheses. Moreover, he did not quit climbing.

The first prostheses were monolithic and yet have replaceable nozzles for different situations. Later he employed mechanic and currently dentures have "on board" own processor.

I know that Habre not particularly favor the video, but in this case it tells everything better than any words:

The control circuit bionic leg

The main thing that the team succeeded Hugh Herr - a moment of shock, their dentures virtually reproduce the mechanics of the motion of the human foot. When the quake is very important when traveling. In the video above you saw dancing ballerina, but, unfortunately, it is only suitable prosthesis for dancing and walking are not suitable. But even these achievements are impressive. Indeed, even some two decades ago, all that could count amputees - a wheelchair or a plastic prosthesis, who served the maximum decorative function. Many details are printed on the 3D-printer.

I think the words are superfluous.

But that's not all. I want to tell you about the other team - the team Heitor Bender of Berkeley Bionix AFV.

And again, I will return to using video, this presentation 2011:

Two of these presentations is great hope for the development of the art, of course, the main issue remains the compactness, weight and duration of battery life. But I think many of you remember kilogram phones that cost a lot of money, and work is not too long. But for some 10 years, the technology reduced the phones to miniature size. And of course, they stress the importance of programming in technologies of the 21st century.

In both speeches have courage, courage, perseverance. It's a matter of respect, regardless of achievement, but when you see how technology can go to the person who was completely paralyzed, and without one leg ballerina dancing again, this causes a lot of emotions.

I hope you enjoy my article, and I can continue to acquaint you with the latest technology.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/221217/

Tags

See also

New and interesting