Village addicts - the consequences of the opium

Afghan village of Sarab, open the door to Islam Beg's house and the thick opium smoke will escape the cold mountain air, like steam from a bathhouse. It's only 8 am, but a family of six - including a year-old boy - had already gathered around the opium pipe. 65-year-old running inhales and exhales a cloud of smoke. He handed the phone to his wife. She sends her daughter. The daughter blows the opium smoke into the baby's mouth. The child rolls his eyes. Their faces are thin, matted hair. From them it stinks. In dozens of mountain villages in this remote corner of Afghanistan, opium addiction has become so strong that the whole family - from infants to the elderly - have become drug addicts. This drug addiction moves from house to house, affecting entire communities, cut off from the world by glacial streams. Now, at least half the population of Sarab (which is 1 850 people) are drug addicts.
13 ph via bigpicture

1. A resident of the village of Sarab, opium addict Islam Beg (center) heats up a few grams of opium during the morning 'procedures' of smoking. Photographed in Badakhshan Province in Afghanistan July 13. "I have no life. I do not have anything. All spent on opium, "- says Beg, whose relatives are also drug addicts. (AP / Julie Jacobson) [next]

2. The morning sun flooded the village of Sarab, located in a narrow river valley about 2, 5 km above sea level, in the Afghan province of Badakhshan. In dozens of mountain villages in this remote corner of Afghanistan, opium addiction has become so strong that the whole family - from infants to the elderly - have become drug addicts. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

3. Residents of the village of Sarab are on the dirty part of the track from one village to another. Photographed in the Afghan province of Badakhshan, July 12. Located at an altitude of 2, 5 kmnad sea level, and the fact that it is the last village up the river valley, making travel on dirt roads to doctors rather difficult. "Opium - our doctor," - says a resident of the village of using opium for pain relief. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

4. A resident of the village of Sarab, opium addict Islam Beg talks about his living conditions, after a morning of smoking opium, Photographed in Badakhshan Province, July 13. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

5. A resident of the village of Sarab, Jan Begum pauses between smoking opium at home in the Afghan province of Badakhshan. "I smoke opium for 18 years" - says Begum, who sent his 14-year-old son to work for drug dealers to the family could pay for the drugs. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

6. A resident of the village of Sarab, opium addict Islam Beg removes residues after a morning of opium smoking. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

7. A resident of the village of Sarab, a drug addict Jan Begum smokes opium. "Smoking helps with my asthma," - says Begum, who has no money, no transportation to go to the doctor. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

8. The women of the family of Islam Beg smoke opium together. The picture was taken in the village of Sarab, Badakhshan Province, Afghanistan July 13. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

9. A resident of the village of Sarab, opium addict Islam Beg (center) offers a pipe of opium to his grandson during a morning smoke. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

10. A resident of the village of Sarab Raihan calms year-old son after a morning ceremony of smoking opium with other family members in the Afghan province of Badakhshan. Raihan was addicted to opium during pregnancy, making the son of a drug addict since birth. "When he was born, he cried day and night. But when she blows him smoke opium, he falls asleep, "- says the father Raihan Islam Beg. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

11. A bit of burnt opium are scattered on a metal tray with a candle and matches that Ian Begum from the village of Sarab is used to heat the drug. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

12. A resident of the village of Sarab, Raihan (right) cleans the oven, while her mother and watching her children after the morning smoking opium as a family. "I do not eat breakfast. I can put up with hunger, but without opium, I can not "- says Raihan. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

13. A resident of the village of Sarab, opium addict Islam Beg shoes to go to work on the potato field after a morning of smoking opium in the province of Badakhshan, Afgnistan. "I sold my land. And is now working on it. I sold their chickens and cows, "- says Beg, whose family is also dependent on opium. (AP / Julie Jacobson)

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting