Found a Nazi criminal Ladislaus №1 Chatara

A two-storey house in a prestigious district of Budapest, where live peacefully, at first glance, the most common Hungarian pensioner. In any case, he lived up to the present day. When 97-year-old Ladislaus finch-Chatara opened the door, he did not expect to see at the threshold of the British newspaper reporters Sun. On the trail of war criminals brought them to the Simon Wiesenthal Center, which is once again engaged in the search for Nazis who survived to the present day. [Next]

"I have not worked under him, but I heard about the terrible things that he did. I remember a woman digging a ditch with his bare hands on his orders. He was a monster, "- says an eyewitness of the terrible events of war.

During the war Chatara was the police chief in the Jewish ghetto Cash, now the town of Kosice in present-day Slovakia. According to the Simon Wiesenthal Center, he personally sent to Auschwitz 15 thousand 700 people. Of these, only 450 survived Unlike many other Nazi Chatara always had a special cruelty - bring on the prisoners of dogs, shot without trial, forced to dig his hands frozen ground.

"I confirm that László Csatáry identified and located in Budapest. I hope that the local authorities in the near future to question him and take away your passport, so he again disappeared ", - said the head of the Simon Wiesenthal Center Efraim Zuroff.

Hide Chatara succeeded twice. First, in 1948, after he was sentenced to death, he fled to Canada. For many years he lived in Montreal, selling works of art, and in 1955 even got Canadian citizenship. But in 1997 the authorities have learned the truth about the past, art dealer, and began to prepare the documents for extradition. But before: Chatara ran again. For fourteen years he was hiding in the historical homeland, until it is calculated.

"Several thousand Jewish families felt the sorrow and pain of hearing about this person. For all the Hungarian people would be a shame if Chatara escape justice, "- said the president of the Hungarian Jewish community, Peter Feldmayer.

To reporters who tracked down "the pope Chatara" - was the name of the offender's neighbors, the old man came in shorts and T-shirt. When asked about his Nazi past, he said sharply: "I do not do that" and slammed the door. Now the former Nazi hiding his face behind dark glasses. But this is unlikely to help him evade justice. His case will soon be considered a Hungarian prosecutors

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting