LuAZ 969M - Ukrainian SUV

And so we begin.
Surely everyone has a hobby or activity that brings him pleasure. Someone in his spare time likes to relax at the bar, someone goes to disco, some play sports, this list could go on indefinitely. I have a friend who likes to work after working as a favorite activity of his wife, to put it mildly, he did not quite make the sweet life.
One of my hobbies - fishing is! And so, one fine spring day, I was with my brother, whose name is Alexander, planned next weekend on the shores of his beloved river. We have long nurtured the idea to get hold of the machine on which you can easily go through impassable places where this is caught, so even with such eyes HERE!
 - I know !, says Sanya. I have seen on Youtube. LUAZ! The beast, not a machine! In the swamps like riding on asphalt. It is not expensive, and characteristics like a real Jeep. Nashinskie once did ...
 - Well, show me, I say, a wonderful technique! ..

It will be 27 bit images and text.

From the first minutes of viewing how this small, homely machine, bellowing and throwing smoked with smoke exhaust pipe prolazit through the mud, popularly referred to as shit, I fell in love.
I just could not believe that such an engineering marvel created here in Ukraine. Although learn more about it, I changed my mind a little bit, but more on that later.
And so, the next day, in the middle of the working week, phoned the seller, we raced to Kyiv to Zhytomyr region. for our Lunokhod. The process of buying, I will not describe everything went fairly quietly and quickly. The machine was in the garden at the same country lovers like us. From the original machine, which went off the assembly line in 1979 and 1996 differ only in the presence of our self-made welded body parts instead of native canopy and a large number of the most Gauvin, who are stuck and almost grew into the chassis. Of course, the machine we are very pleased. Body without exaggeration, was in perfect condition, with little or no rust. In the five-year Lanos my brother, it was much more. Luntik at that time already 20 years old. Engine in this model was LuAZ two kinds. One of the good old Zaporozhets 40 hp, the second from the People's Tavria, 53 hp power ... We got a V twin air-cooled engine, which as it turned out, our "created" by the schemes of the engine BMW, also produced in the 40s the last century. I do not think that the fact someone can surprise, as all know the history of the Soviet autostructure. We bought and that standing for a couple of years in the garden already fairly flat tire, the host govnohoda started it the first time! So in addition to the good condition of the body, the engine was also in order.
And so, after a few hours that have been spent on deregistration (good wife works in the traffic police) and finding transportation to deliver our all-terrain vehicle is already in Kiev, we raced and rejoiced as the children of a new toy

The recovery process machines unfortunately could not take pictures, because all the time necessary to clean the skins, drill, disassemble, assemble, pounding beat, twist, twist off and remember his former life without that piece of iron. I can only say that our operation in the garage was as follows: after work and from 18.30 to 22-23.00 weekdays. And from 8.00 to 21-22.00 and on weekends from March to September. The relationship with his wife during this time period will not describe, and so everything is clear.
The main pros and cons, which were discovered at the beginning of works:
«+»
 - Perfect body !;
 - Mileage native 18 thousand. Km .;
 - Native awning replaced by a metal thickness of 2 mm .;
 - Off-road tires, NEW, (although there were only three wheels, but at the moment is the fourth bought);
 - Seats by Ford;

«-»
 - There was no stove;
 - Not adjusted the carburetor;
 - Not worked differential lock (this is such crap that keeps the wheel spinning the path of least resistance. That is, even if one wheel will be on the ice, and the other on the pavement, they still will twist at the same rate.);
 - Rubber cracked and allow oil to flow;
 - Due to the welding of the frontal and side windows in the small dots that slightly spoils the appearance;
 - Do not work gidrovakuumny brake booster;
 - Unfit wiring, which in some places was melted;
In the photo we see the cleaned bottom and rear differential. All seams are processed anticorrosive primer, prosilikoneny and covered Movil (2 times).
Rear axle touched, replaced by gum, oil seals, dust caps, and changed the clutch locking the rear axle, which as it turned jammed. An autopsy revealed that her teeth were lapped with their tasks and it is already unable to cope. Way clutch brother bought in Moscow, while on a business trip, as in Ukraine, selling only the gear assembly for a lot of money. It is ridiculous that the parts in the Ukrainian had to get the car in another country.

And in this picture of the wheel gear and the lever. For those who forgot to remind you that the Suspension torsion-lever machines like tanks, so that the brake before the pits is not necessarily.

Drum brakes

Well, as without aides?)

Beautiful. Light in a garage there. All manual labor. Evening work covered rechargeable flashlights

Equator work

Before painting. Preparation took two days. The process of 2:00)

After painting. Photographed at the hammer

Now let's go over the inner workings of the body. in addition to painting, we obesshumili wheel arches with a special material. Bottom smeared contraption, I do not remember the name, reminiscent of tar. This budgetary noise-vibration-waterproofing. On top of a bed car linoleum. It can be seen on one of the following photos.

This wall. Stick foam synthetic rubber on the aluminum foil (this is to warm it was). A beauty stuck ordinary carpet.

Ceiling

The general plan of the cabin, if it can be called). Gluing process is very time consuming, so they had a lot to measure, cut, and then the whole thing neatly glued.

Now we come to the heart of the car. The engine we have completely touched. Replace one piston rings and all. Carburetor recovery was not subject, as it was the "development" of an important node. Technical details of the ship will not, I can only say that such a problem it actually could not be set up for optimum performance.
The photo reanimated the engine is already installed.

How difficult was it to start. It is now with the height of his experience I can blindly make this heart beat virtually any "disease". But then, we spent a week on what the patient would "come to life." The reason was very banal, my brother took off oil filter and inhaled a lungful of fresh air, our heart finally started beating! Uraaaaa! emotions at the moment we simply overwhelmed! Paul, we heard this beautiful sound. And frankly has creeping doubt that we did the right thing in the assembly. After that, there were many days of fine adjustment and tuning of the ignition system and carburetor itself. Our SUV could not even leave the garage. But this, this was passed and handsome rover first saw the sunlight in its new guise.

Oh, we fought back and then from those who want to buy such beauty. And now I will not hide very often ask if we do not sell "Bagpipe»

Muzzle

And what we have under the hood? V-twin engine as on the sports models Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari.)

We have a new stove. By the way I remind you that the stove operates independently of the engine, and in the winter it can even heat the oil in the crankcase. This allows the plant start-up even at minus 20. This is from personal experience)

New gum. Now the hood is not grimit at closing.

Bottom view. We see the steering gear with worm mechanism, shock absorbers Kayaba, who stood without alterations instead of native Moskvitch. Incidentally LuAZ collected from components and assemblies ZAZ 468 and 412 Muscovites. The original had a body and most of the way. And here we see off-road tires. It is not my own, have original tread more

Who is in the cabin so. As promised we see a light-colored car linoleum. The rear seats recline. If you decide to take a couple of friends who get stuck on Luazke almost impossible. Four machine can be taken out of the mud)))

And that we are on the first fishing trip. The machine coped with the task to deliver us shit-road.

Modest catch. I had to take the "laces", as they were very hungry. This is the first fish is extracted after a trip to Lunokhod)

The second fishing. Already we see the fighting swept away. The way in today's wash washes impossible. After this bath, the whole room is filled with water. Door gap at a speed of 100 km / h. whistle. And yes, do not be surprised, this may pepelats acceleration to a speed. I told you that the engine as sports cars) Okay, say thank you to our engineers and go further

Winter pokatushki

That's all I wanted to say. Thank you for attention. If you have questions, ask! And remember, it's a full-fledged SUV at a reasonable price.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting