When money has nowhere to go: the owner of the VAZ-2106

Yuri Gladchuk, a great lover and retromobiles yangtaymerov not always approved of changes in the original form of "oldies". But in the case presented by VAZ-2106 I made an exception - very neat it seemed this instance ...

In 1976 he saw the light of a famous model of the Volga Automobile Plant under the number 2106. As modernization luxury VAZ-2103, "six" for quite a long time remained the most prestigious model in the range of "Lada". A new 1, 6-liter engine gave out 78 hp, making it the most powerful Soviet serial subcompact automobile engines of the time! Release of a vehicle stopped in 2006.

19 photos and text

"Beauty consists of small things," - said the owner of the VAZ-2106 Evgeny Goncharov, who for several years to improve its car. Her reason he calls the "euphoria" and argues that many remember myself, "six" was always there.

- VAZ-2106 was purchased new in 1987 by my grandfather, a veteran of the war - begins the story of Eugene. - "Rights" had never been, therefore, in a car he did not go, so at first it exploited my father. Since 2005, as soon as I got the "right", "Lada" became mine. Many of my friends still do not share my passion VAZ-2106: "How so? You have to spend so much money she would have bought myself have a foreign car! "What I tried to explain to them either, few were able to understand me. After all, I just can not imagine myself without this machine. My whole life is somehow connected with this car is so pleasant childhood memories, so many things, so many things - for me it is the best car! However, a foreign car myself then still bought a "Zhiguli" car left as the weekend.

As recognized Eugene, at first it was a winding trail of "people tuning": old car got neon lights and sporty body kit, not without labels GT. But then he wanted to give the car a more noble appearance.

- It all started with the air intakes, stickers, mudguards, neon lights and stuff. I think many young owners of "Lada" took the stage. Everyone knows how easy and clearly it is called - "the farm." Then he wised up and realized that it was not serious. I wanted to make the car closer to the original mind, but with a modern "stuffing" and some changes in the exterior and interior. Since then, and began: to spend huge sums on completion chassis, engine and car design. Damn nice to do something with their own hands - it gradually became a hobby, which does not get rid of. It's a hobby, however, pulled out of my purse for a few years around 6000 dollars. But I do not mind a penny.

After a small accident, which happened three years ago and which were damaged right front fender and door, Eugene decided to completely repaint the body and change the whole design of the car. There was a gray - became dark blue, the official color for some reason called "Poseidon." Digest the body did not have to: in 1987, immediately after the purchase, the VAZ-2106 was processed by the "Soviet technology" with the use of gun-fat, "Movil" and plasticine.

- It should be borne in mind that the date of purchase and up to 2005 the car went in the winter and summer. Now, of course, VAZ most of the time in the garage, but before he, poor fellow, traveled a lot: on the odometer already started the fifth round - mileage today is 400 thousand kilometers! But as you can see, the whole is: nowhere is there any rzhavchinki or "bug". From body elements have changed the doors and front fenders.

Among the features of the appearance of the car is called the headlights Pro-Sport lenses, LED rear optics Torino and solid side windows of the doors, which were made to order. The car is also decorated with forged wheels and low-profile tires Slik Yokohama 195/50 R15.

The interior of serious changes have occurred: set pretensioners, hard ceiling, tied with black Alcantara, front electric windows and gear lever - homemade. Original seat clad in cases of imitation leather, and chrome dashboard received inlays and new design dials. Eugene did not forget about soundproofing: acoustic comfort layer helps 8mm izolona.

VAZ-2106 was issued with engine capacity of 1, 6, 1, 45 and 1, 3 l. Last, 64-horsepower engine, installed under the hood of our hero.

- Over the history of my car engine, "capital" four times! What to do its share is small - only 100 thousand kilometers - he explains.

But there has not been without modernization. So, the owner of the Solex carburettor mounted on the VAZ-2108, which is slightly modified in terms of better preparing the fuel-air mixture. Under the hood, also found a place contactless ignition system, forced cooling of the engine, the fan assembly with higher performance, lightweight flywheel and a clutch of powerful "Niva" firm Sachs. And it shines! Valve cover, air filter housing, stretching racks and some other parts - in chrome.

Chromed suspension elements, too. It's amazing how much you need to love your car to chrome elements that are not even visible! According to Eugene, beauty consists of trifles, and if so suitable to every detail, the machine will get a very high quality. Will quality? As we thought, the car actually looks decent.

The most significant modernization undergone chassis - this tells the owner:

- Suspension lowered by 50 millimeters. The front rubber elements to increase the rigidity and durability polyurethane replaced. There is also established progressive spring "Phobos Sport" with variable pitch. Thanks to them on the straight section of the road the car is relatively soft, and when you have to turn the - banks are minimal. Gazomaslyanye Plaza Sport shock absorbers with a shorter 50 mm rod, levers Stinger with a modified kinematics (Castor 10 deg., And negative camber 0, 9 deg.), And the so-called "maintenance-free wheel end" based on the bearing of the VAZ-2109 - it all also contributes to better handling. Rear mounted rocket thrust "SEVI-sport", homemade adjustable Panhard and, of course, progressive springs and dampers.

The rear brakes are standard, as conventional reels. The front is installed perforated ventilated 286 millimeter brake discs Otto Zimmermann from Alfa Romeo with support from the GAZ-3110 "Volga". The plans of the owner - set disc brakes on the rear axle.

After installation, direct-flow exhaust system MG-RACE turned loud and pleasant sound to the acoustic pressure of 111 dB. Just listen to the sound of the old "Zhiguli": just thunder and lightning!

- Once driving along the avenue at a speed of 60 suddenly jumps out in front of me a policeman stops and admits: "Oh, I thought you a" hundred "flying, so the sound was loud ...»

Well, now it's my turn to test the VAZ-2106. What to say? Ergonomics at the time, Soviet designers seem to know little: planting uncomfortable, pedals pushed up too close to the driver, and in small and distorting "picture" of the mirrors did not see anything. "Donut" due to the worm gear steering is difficult to turn, even on the move on slippery surfaces. But the definition of a gear change may be the envy of some modern cars: moves the scenes with minimal effort verified - to shift gears a pleasure. However, the rapid acceleration will not name, but because of the loud sound of the exhaust system and features of Soviet cars rumbling on every bump feels going fast. On the exchange rate stability is now also almost a full order: owner at the site in the Limes managed to develop 160 km / h! If not tight, requiring podrulivany steering manageability, too, everything would be fine. But in general, the feeling is very interesting: it was not boring!

- I have plans to install a new engine, perhaps, the problems with the steering, if this is enough room under the hood after the installation of a 16-valve 1, 6-liter engine from the VAZ-21124. In the future a lot, but it is not going to guess. What is to be the owner of the "Zhiguli"? Hard to say, because for me it is something special. WHA need to love truly, otherwise the vehicle is not for you. I hope you understand me ...

Drivetrain:

volume 1, 3 liters;
Gearbox 4-speed;
reducer 4, 3;
Solex carburettor in 2108;
contactless ignition system;
BB wires Tesla;
candles NGK BP6ES;
exhaust manifold MG-RACE 4-1 51 mm;
Issue fully MG-RACE 51 mm;
end-Bank Pro-Sport carbon;
lightweight flywheel (weight 4 345 kg);
Sachs clutch from "Niva»;
forced cooling of the engine;
Cooling Fan LUZAR;
generator 80 Ah;
many chrome parts.

Suspension Front:

spring "Phobos Sport" 50 mm;
Plaza Sport shock absorbers 50 gas-oil (rod - 50 mm);
leverage "Force Auto»;
reinforced stabilizer SS20;
Ball 'Track TRS Sport »;
maintenance-free bearings in the front hub VAZ-2108;
wheel bearings SKF;
All suspension on polyurethane;
chromed suspension components;
Castor 10, 0 deg .;
negative camber -0 9 degrees.

Suspension rear:

spring "Phobos Sport" 50 mm;
Plaza Sport shock absorbers 50 gas-oil (rod - 50 mm);
jet thrust "SEVI Sports»;
adjustable Panhard (custom).

Brakes:

vacuum booster "TMA-Sport»;
ATE brake master cylinder.

Front:

brake discs R15 (286 mm) Otto Zimmermann Sport;
chrome calipers GAZ-3110;
brake pads EBC Green Stuff, cermet.

Rear:

drain ATE brake cylinders.

Wheels:

forged wheels Slik L186S: R15x6.5j, ET 32, PCD 98;
tires Yokohama Parada Spec-2 PA01 195/50 R15.

Body:

repainted in a different color in 2011 .;
headlights Pro-Sport «Angel Eyes»;
Rear LED optics Torino;
Chrome stretching racks;
front side windows;
rear solid glass;
chrome grille rear pillars.

Salon:

leatherette;
complete insulation 8mm izolona;
hard ceilings (Alcantara, color maroon 618);