Submarines.

When the strategic initiative seized the US and fiery wheel war closer rises to Japan, and she no longer had complete freedom of action in the Pacific, Admiral Yamamoto developed a bold plan of attack on New York, Washington and other cities, as well as a plan to destroy the Panama Canal. In the early days of 1945 to prepare for the start of the attack, in order to cut the supply lines and access to the Pacific Ocean to the US Navy. The plan assumed almost round trip for a strike from the direction from which the Americans did not expect.
For these purposes in secrecy planned to use weapons "long arm". Series Sen Toku - unique Japanese submarines, aircraft carriers, which had no parallel in the fleets of other countries. Submarines of this series considered the largest submarines doatomnoy era.

In 1942, Japan began the construction of such devices, and in 1944 two-submarine aircraft carrier I-400 and I-401 were launched. They bore the brunt of three specialized fighter "Seyran» M6A. Light aircraft started on the surface of the boat using the catapult launch was carried out in 30 minutes. Planes could return to their own ground base after the operation.

However, there was a modification of the "Seiran" and without chassis - for suicide. Their start is easier, 14 minutes for all. But the approaching end of the war. Construction of the remaining pledged boats (numbers 402, 403 and 404) was suspended due to the high cost of the project. "Seiran" is produced only 20 pieces. Cabs fighters were sealed in case you have to run right out of the water. Besides, there were prepared two light submarine I-13 and I-14 to carry one fighter.

The route had to lie to the west of Japan, through the Indian Ocean, around the southern tip of Africa, across the Atlantic to a three chamber gateway "Gatun", which was supposed to be attacked. For pilots it was a guaranteed one-way ticket.
But everything turned out differently.

Tags

See also

New and interesting