Why March 11 Kuka robot loses Timo Boll

Hello.

Advertising campaign and marketing company KUKA achieved their goal - to discuss many upcoming match. Including people who are not representing the difference between a ping-pong table tennis and modern, but a great interest in modern technology.
In this mini-topic I would like to try to explain why the upcoming event can not be considered as Kasparov vs deep blue. We first had at least some chance.

Arguments

0. B> This is an industrial robot created not for tennis. Deep Blue is originally developed for the win in chess.

1. B> No one will write code that could compete with the tactics and strategy of a professional athlete. Yes, there are table tennis tactics, strategy and just a human trick.
Write code like this will not be because marketers is unnecessary (and because it's expensive). Attract the attention of the broad masses of the people to their products - good enough shot clip and world-class stars.
( As offtopic, Timo Boll - one of the last hopes of the Europeans against the dominance of China in the sport i>)

2. B> No one will design the technical environment of the robot:
- A set of full-hd cameras to capture images: kinekta there is not enough - it is not enough resolution to detect small movements of the hand athlete, set the angle and speed of rotation of the ball. If you make a mistake in the analysis of these data, it is a great sport, will not be a second chance.
- Capacity for analysis of images from different angles and make a decision. This must be done very quickly = & gt; productive glands, optimized code. Expensive to demonstrate an industrial robot.

3. B> The robot is no adequate platform to move the paddle. Even if we assume that the velocity of the manipulator and its degree of freedom compared with similar data of the person, the speed to cover all game situations / combinations anyway is not enough. Legs - a support tennis player base. Furthermore, it is the legs extend agility athlete, give him a chance to catch there where hands still i> do not have time.
( Pay attention to the leg muscle of tennis players. It's no accident. I>)

Conclusion

I think that it highlights and wait for a miracle on 11th March is not necessary. The maximum that will be demonstrated, it is an opportunity to conduct a warm-up, ask for some rotation of the ball, defend against certain types of attacks, and to conduct them effectively as possible (so that was cut in the demo video). Maybe even, Timo, the love of art robotics, missed a couple of attacks.

But, objectively, if all of the above will be demonstrated, it will be, no nonsense, cool. And allocate the money, for example, in the same China, to develop the first version of the robot-tennis.

P.S.
Ping-pong is not a modern table tennis.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/213221/

Tags

See also

New and interesting