Around the world

Jean Beliveau on the eve of the 45th anniversary of obonkrotilsya and to somehow cope with the emotional blow, he decided to travel around the world. One day, he came out of the house and set off on foot and with little or no money. The journey lasted for 11 years that he realized that the money in this life is not the main goal. Walking from depression
The idea came traveling to Jean, when he walked down the street and hard thinking about their financial problems.

Who of us did not come up with the idea that if you just go and do not stop, you can circumvent the globe and come back where you started? The difference is that Jean is not just thought about it, and exactly and entered. He decided to get away from their problems and depression - on foot.
The trip around the world, Jean took a comfortable three-wheeled cart, tent, sleeping bag and a first aid kit. Mobile phone, he did not take.
Early in the morning of 18 August 2000, on his birthday, with the help of his son, Jean rolled his cart on the street.

"We waited until 9 am, when the friends came, and everything could not understand, it's a happy day or a sad, - says Jean. - My father, my pregnant daughter, my wife Lucy - were all there. Lucy sent invitations to journalists, but no one in the end did not come. At the beginning of the tenth Lucy she told me: "I think you have to go." We embraced, I just turned the corner - and the next time we saw each other only after many months ».

Route
Turning the corner, Jean went to the US. Going into the United States from the north of Jean the Atlantic Ocean came to South America, took it to the right and then walked along the shore of the Pacific. Alone crossed the Chilean Atacama Desert, Argentina turned to the left and crossed to the other side of the continent. There appeared before Jean-water barrier. Moved across the Atlantic Ocean on foot clearly was not possible.

Jean awhile in thought hovered on the beach. And then a miracle happened. Local airline learned of his journey, gave him a plane ticket to the opposite shore. So, Jean moved to South Africa and from there moved on foot again.
In Libya, Jean was not allowed and he had to detour through Morocco. Then Jean went to Europe and briefly looked to England. In Russia, he decided not to go because of the cold and instead went to India, China and South Korea, which, according to him, had met some of the most friendly people in the world. Then passed through the Philippines, he crossed Malaysia, Australia, and finally came to New Zealand, where he returned back to Canada.

Money Talks
His journey lasted 11 years. All this time they had met his wife once a year - at Christmas.
Despite the fact that Jean was trying to save, as he could, he ran out of money at even at the very beginning - on the American continent.

"I'm not very good at begging, but it came as something natural - he laughs. - I'm actually quite shy, but it turned out it only helps, because in some sense fascinates people. " However, money and food people usually gave him themselves without any requests.

"Hearing that I was going to cross the world on foot, people just thrust 20 or $ 50 in my pocket. I have to save on everything, and I lacked the money for a long time. You know, in Indonesia and Africa is the perfect place to eat on $ 1! "- Says Jean.
It was more difficult overnight. Over four thousand nights spent in a way that it is not always easily able to find shelter.

"Most of all, I just found a place to sleep: held for 3-4 kilometers until you find a safe area where you can put up a tent. Or let me ask for the night. But it is not always easy. In America, for example, it happened that I knocked at seven houses in a row, until he found the night.
Well, if you do not have the energy to look for accommodation, I was sleeping on the streets or in parks, next to the homeless ».
Jean estimated that during the trip he gave shelter 1,600 families, about the same number of nights spent in a tent, and the rest - in the fire brigade, police stations, churches, homeless shelters, hospitals and schools.

In Egypt, Jean-free cured teeth, India received a gift sunglasses in Sudan for nearly two weeks ate bugs and snakes, and in Algeria underwent surgery and spent two weeks in the hospital free of charge. In the Philippines, while crossing a dangerous area on the island of Mindanao, he was accompanied by a whole army of thirty soldiers who were with him chanting: "We want peace." In the Chilean Atacama Desert Jean almost bitten cougar. And in South Africa it is allowed to spend the night in unoccupied jail cell, and the guard of the morning shift mistakenly refused to release him.
But the main thing from what happened with Jean during his tour, were not even an adventure, and the changes that have occurred with himself. For 11 years, Jean has not earned a penny, and, nevertheless, they were, according to him, the brightest and happiest years of his life. Today, he is confident that material success is not a prerequisite for a happy life.

"I'm not the man that hit the road - said Jean. - I still do not have money, but now I feel rich. We are all blinded by the money - so much around the traps like "Here buy it and be happy." I do not believe it. In my travels I have met a lot of people are perfectly happy, who had no money ».
Money and happiness
Jean returned home to Canada at the age of 56 years. He walked the earth on foot, crossed a total of 76 thousand kilometers, the demolition of 49 pairs of shoes and crossed 64 countries. His journey was not only a circumnavigation, but also the first in his life. Prior to that, Jean nowhere and never traveled, unless, of course, do not take tours to Florida.
Jean returned home, as in the beginning of the journey, bankrupt. Only more of it is not worried. "The experience and knowledge that I have now is much more valuable than money" - he said.
Now Jean one goal: not to disrupt the deadline, which is set for his publisher of printing a book about his journey.

Source: www.ageofhappiness.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting