Bread bricks. Outrage against humanity

< Seva Novgorodsev

When still living in St. Petersburg, wondered how foreigners praising Russian black bread, often heard - "I might just be your bread to eat!" And then I from black rye heartburn happened, and I thought - that foreigners have strange. Now I'm a foreigner coming to Russia and immediately ask to bring the black bread and butter.
Since childhood, I remember lines Sergei Mikhalkov, "No! - We said the Nazis, will not tolerate our people to Russian sweet bread called by "Brot". "
In those grim days so it was not up to the semantics, but, strictly speaking, the word "bread" - the Persian, there it is in the old Germanic - hleib. Similar words have Finns - "Leypi" Estonians - "Life", but the founder - is a medieval word hlaf, from which came the English loaf - a loaf.

At this from the point of view of one of my friend, the English common bread and common human culture and ends. What is sold in supermarkets for a wide consumer, he calls a "crime against humanity".

I just do not hold extreme views, but I do not buy this bread and sandwiches out of it will not even have a severe famine.

What I felt intuitively, as a consumer, now took shape in theory, research and historically. In 1961 he invented a new process of baking, the so-called Chorleywood, on which a loaf of bread, from beginning to end, from conception to birth in sliced ​​and packaged produce in three and a half hours

It is understood that no such great chemistry can not be achieved in the process used emulsifiktory, oxidizers, enzymes, and preservatives.

In recent years, when we started to write on the topic of "food and health" - people slowly began to share experiences, rasskazyat that after such a bread feeling that swallowed a brick.

Perhaps I should not paint all black paint, in our supermarket has a black rye bread from Germany to vacuum packaging. Eat bread company "Village Bakery", founded by former producer of the BBC Russian Service, Andrew Whitley. Sometimes there loaf made prescription American actor Terence Stamp, who is close to me that he had a stomach ache exactly like me.

It is necessary to recall the Italian bread "panotte" that every day we bought in a grocery store in Ostia, near Rome, in the years 1975-76 exile, his breath without emotion I can not remember. France makes a similar rustic bread - gray, spongy, thick crispy crust ...

About two hundred miles, at the entrance to the UK, continental bread somewhere disappears.

There is one company that I walk around the side because of all of the above. In terms of the City of London, on the business plan, the company - one of the most successful.

The last twenty-five years of its shares each year rose in price by an average of 40 percent. Apparently, the same amount grew bricks in the belly of her clients.

Why the success?

In the words of a young Novgorodtsev - body is designed for drug * cal principle.

What are accustomed, and then will ask.

Tags

See also

New and interesting