Greek immigrant

I used to have this singer was associated with one of her phrases. Only later did I learn more about this daughter of Greek immigrants, is only due to his talent could be on a par with the richest men of his time, he learned of her personal tragedy and a gift that will raise the opera out of the pit of indifference to one of the most prestigious arts of the 20th century . But first, Maria Callas was associated for me with one exceptional phrase: "Why should I be ashamed of that I get for a concert more than President Eisenhower in the past month? For God's sake - let him sing! ».

She had a blood-red lips and black eye by nature, she has emphasized the arrows. Already in the ten years she had known the opera "Carmen" is so good that she had seen the error in the performance, when the opera on the radio. She was talented on the stage just fine. But she was also beautiful in life. She came into the room - and the people fell silent, turning to her. It was sharp and sometimes even crude. When she was offered a role in "Madame Butterfly", Mary said simply: "Opera in English sounds too silly. No one takes it seriously. " It was called "Cyclone Callas", "Hurricane Callas", "tigress", "Devil Diva" - still it remains the most deified theater diva.

David Lowe:
Maria Callas was a soprano, which drove the audience into a frenzy. Her vocal and personal ups and downs were as dramatic and extravagant as the fate of operatic heroines she played.

Maria Callas knows how to pronounce the word that anyone who is not fully cut off the ear of satiety whether snobbery, always in pursuit of fresh sensations lyric theater ... it will always provide us with the feeling that there are I and Thou, suffering, joy, feeling, she is great in hate, in love, in tenderness, in the brutality, great in every expression of feelings, and if she suddenly loses it, it is possible in some cases to state clearly, is suffering a terrible defeat - but never appears small and inconspicuous.

She never sang a role, never, she lived on a razor blade, she did stale recitative new, there are not new, it was so modern, all composed for her roles - from Verdi to Bellini, from Rossini to Cherubini - not Only they would see in it the implementation of the conceived, but would be surprised that it's much more. Ecco un artista, she is the only person who is rightly entered onto the stage in the decades to the audience in the hall pained from the grip, suffering, trembling, it is always an art, but art, and always has been a person very unhappy taynoneduzhnoy , "La Traviata».

"We, the singers - the main instrument of the orchestra," - she said, making fun of their profession. This, together with the famous aphorism "When I did not become enemies, then I understand that there was nothing standing" was used in the film "Callas Forever" by Franco Zeffirelli with Fanny Ardant in the title role. The film tells the story of the last days of the singer - the disease disappears voice grief associated with the death of Aristotle Onassis, the enemies who want to oust the singer with her pedestal ... in short, all the history and all the memory.

Maria Callas died Sept. 16, 1977 in Paris. The cause of her death is still unknown.

Tags

See also

New and interesting