Angelina Jolie breast removed

The actress talked about her undergoing surgery to remove the breast in a special column My Medical Choice (My medical choice) publication «The New York Times»

My mother fought cancer for 10 years and died at the age of 56 years. She stayed long enough to get acquainted with their first grandchild and keep them on hand. But my other children will never have a chance to learn how loving and compassionate person she was. We often talk about the "mom mom" and I try to explain to them the disease that took her. They asked whether the same happened to me. I've always said that they should not worry, but in fact I am the bearer of "defective" gene BRCA1, which greatly increases the risk of breast and ovarian cancer.

My doctors estimated the risk of developing breast cancer I was 87% of ovarian cancer - 50%, although these figures every woman is different. Realizing that this is my reality, I decided to take matters into their own hands and make a preventive double mastectomy to minimize the risk. I started with the breasts, because the risk of developing breast cancer in me higher than ovarian cancer, and this operation is more complicated. On 27 April I completed all medical procedures, which took three months. I managed to keep this information secret and continue to work.

But I write this now because I hope that other women can make something out of my experience. "Cancer" - it is still a word that strikes fear and helplessness in people's hearts. But today, with a blood test can tell if you have high possibility of developing breast and ovarian cancer, and start acting.
Angelina then describes all the steps of the procedure through which it has passed, since the procedure that allows to save the nipples, to remove the breast tissue, and ending with the final reconstruction, when installed implants.

I wanted to write this to say that the decision to make the mastectomy was not easy. But I'm happy that I did it. My risk of breast cancer has fallen from 87% to less than 5%. I can tell my children that they should not fear that they will lose me because of breast cancer. They do not see anything from what might feel uncomfortable - only small scars. In all other respects I am still the same mother, who has always been. I do not feel less feminine. I feel stronger, because I made a difficult choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.

I was fortunate to have a loving partner, Brad Pitt, who gave me great support. Therefore, if your wife or girlfriend go through something like that, you know that you - just an important part of these changes. Brad was there every minute of every one of my procedure. We managed to find moments to laugh together. We knew it was the right decision, which will benefit our family and only bring us together. So it happened.

Next Jolie lists statistics on deaths due to breast cancer, and strongly recommends that all women, especially those family members who are already suffering from the disease, the doctor checked. In this case, the actress said that women's access to tests and preventive treatment is significantly limited, especially in low- and middle-income countries. So in the US test, which detects dangerous genes worth 3000 dollars, which is an obstacle for many women.

After writing this, I want women to understand that they have a choice, the ability to act. In life, we are a huge number of difficulties. But we should not be afraid of those that we can take control.

Tags

See also

New and interesting