Today, August 13, would have turned 114 years of legendary director and the founder of the genre of thriller and suspense master - Alfred Hitchcock. During his half-century career as one of the classics of world cinema made more than fifty films, leaving us with a huge kinonasledie. Hitchcock was once a British director, and took a lot of films before coming to America, but as a director, he has developed an innovator in the USA. It is no coincidence all his best work belong to the American period. The main genre director was a thriller. It is in its framework Hitchcock formed their methods of action on the screen, which was then taken by a majority of directors. All of today's "hackneyed" techniques in thrillers and horror films at the time it came up with Hitchcock. The main kinopriemom it was suspense, thanks to which the director has become an internationally recognized classic, because he was a consummate master of creating suspense unpredictable outcome.
It is not surprising that it is one of the films of Hitchcock tops the list of the hundred best action-American films of the 20th century according to the American Film Institute. This, of course, talking about the best thriller of all time - "Psycho" in 1960 goda.iz all the films of Alfred Hitchcock - is the most famous, the most terrible, most are not outdated, most innovative and unique, despite countless attempts to replicate the success .. .-sound something like this all the reviews, both spectators and kinoekspertov about this low-budget black-and-white film, which is still considered to heights of creativity Hitchcock and the genre as a whole. Surprisingly, this picture was the first in many years, Hitchcock filmed in monochrome. It created a new genre director alloy, which was involved in the psychoanalysis and was very close to the horror movie rather than the classic thriller. For the birthday of the great masters, we have decided to recall the most interesting facts about his brilliant film "Psycho».
1. The film was shot on the novel by Robert Bloch's "Psycho" (1959).
2. Alfred Hitchcock anonymously bought the rights to the novel in 9000 dollars. Moreover, he bought as many copies of the book to the ending of this story knew as little people.
3. Decorations House (Motel) cost only 15 000 dollars, although they have become the most expensive and decorations that were created for this film.
4. The film was made in black and white, because Hitchcock decided that the picture will be too cruel if it filmed in color. Although the main reason was the desire is still the director to make a movie with a budget as low as possible (costs should not have been exceeded 1 million. Dollars). In addition, the year in rolling out a lot of black-and-white films category "B", and they collected a lot of money, so Hitchcock wondered what fees will be his low-budget black-and-white film category "A».
5. Francois Truffaut interview with Hitchcock said that the narrative line of the film is built in an interesting way - it leads to crimes of misconduct. So, for the innocent adultery should be a waste of money, after - double homicide caused by mental disorder is the main character.
6. In a famous murder scene in the shower shrill sound create a violin, which dramatically drive bows. Although initially Alfred Hitchcock wanted to make this scene absolutely dumb. And the sound of a knife, which bites into human flesh - is the sound of a knife stuck in the melon. This scene was filmed from 17 December to 23 December 1959, and shot even without the participation of Anthony Perkins (who at this point had gone to New York). In addition, she had almost 90 splices during installation.
7. As the blood in the movie used chocolate syrup.
8. In the license plate of the machine Marion have letters - NFB. Exactly the same letters make initials Norman Bates - Norman Bates Frances (Norman Francis Bates).
9. The budget of "Psycho" was only 800,000 dollars, and charges - 40 000 000. Hitchcock even used his camera crew as the television series "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (1955), as much as possible to save money and time.
10. In 1962, the director exchanged their rights to "Psycho" and TV series ("Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (1955)) for a considerable share of the company's shares MCA. As a result, it has become the third largest shareholder of the company.
11. In the movie picture, which removes from the wall Norman to watch the disrobing Marion is a classic painting of rape.
12. It is believed that "Psycho" was the first film where he was shown the toilet tank drain.
13. "Psycho" did not immediately want to let rent, because the censors have stated that during the scene in the shower is visible chest Janet Leigh. Therefore, the editors had to re-view frame by frame this scene, in order to ensure that the claims are unfounded censors. Hitchcock did not make any changes (since they are not required).
14. Anthony Perkins received for his title role exactly fee of 40 000 dollars, and in the film, Marion steals exactly the same amount. But the composer Herrmann received 34,501 dollars - it was 2 times greater than the initial rate - so the director decided to reward the composer for a stunning soundtrack to his film.
15. Norman in the famous scene in the shower gets 12 times with a knife.
16. After the release of "Psycho" on screens Hitchcock received an angry letter from the father of a girl who had begun to take a bath after she looked "Devil" (1954), and after "Psycho" - became even refuse to accept and shower. This famous director just said: Take it to the dry cleaners.
17. Hitchcock always appears in the frame of his films. Here it can be seen in the fifth minute of screen time - a man in a cowboy hat outside the office of Marion.
18. Actor Anthony Perkins agreed to star in "Psycho" without even reading the script.
19. In the novel by Robert Bloch Norman Bates was a short, thick, and an older man, but in the film he is young and attractive. The idea to change the appearance of the hero belonged to Hitchcock.
20. The basis of the novel by Robert Bloch went to the real facts about Ede Heine, a serial killer. Also on the image of this maniac partly based films such as "Madness" (1974), "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974) and "The Silence of the Lambs" (1990).
21. After the death of Marion in the movie camera close-up shows her open eyes with constriction of the pupil. After ophthalmologists director inundated with letters, which indicates this error - since the person is not lent pupils and expanded after his death. Doctors advised instilled into the eyes "dead" actress belladonna, to simulate the effect of dead eyes. And in the following pictures Hitchcock always followed this advice.
22. In the early paintings on Marion Crane wearing a white bra, as Hitchcock wanted to show it in the "angelic" image. And after his heroine stole money, shows a scene in which Marion is already wearing a black bra - because she committed the offense. In the same way, before she stole the money, she wears a white handbag and after the theft - black.
23. The famous murder scene in the shower lasts only 45 seconds, but its shooting were used about 70 different plans chamber.
24. The promotional material for the film included a trailer, in which Alfred Hitchcock as a guide conducts a tour for visitors to the motel and home. And in the final movie, the director comes into the bathroom, pulls back the shower curtain ... and shows a close-up screaming in terror women. However, the actress in the bathroom - it was not Janet Leigh (as in the movie), and Vera Miles, who plays the main character's sister.
25. During the filming Vera Miles wore a wig as she shaved her head for filming the movie "5 dishonored women" (1960).
26. Collector's Edition picture released on DVD, Janet Leigh said that the scene in the shower at some point used a special doll.
27. Another reason why Hitchcock suddenly picked up a low-budget black and white film, was that he was tired of shooting big-budget movies starring superstars and he wanted to create some degree of experimental cinema, in which he could use techniques more typical of television.
28. According to the magazine Entertainment Weekly film "Psycho" took 11 th place in the list of "the best film of all time", and he ranked first among horror films ever made.
29. Filming scenes with Janet Leigh continued for three weeks, and one of them spent on the shooting scene in the shower.
30. Before the start of filming the entire crew Hitchcock promised that he would not disclose information about the plot of the film. In addition, the director has withdrawn from copies of the script, which he gave the actors, all of the latest page, so no one knew what the outcome of the film.
31. "Psycho" was the last film made by Hitchcock for the film company Paramount. After the director filmed his paintings at the studio Universal.
32. Later, the director said that 33 per cent of the effect that can be achieved when watching a movie belongs to the soundtrack, which is performed only on stringed musical instruments.
33. In the film, there are many references to the theme of birds. For example:
- The picture begins with a panoramic plan bird's-eye view;
- The name of the protagonist - Crane, what with the English «crane» translated as "Crane»;
- Different stuffed birds can be seen in a motel;
- Paintings, which are also depicted birds can be seen in a motel room Marion;
- Norman accidentally knocked off the wall painting, which depicts a bird again;
- Norman Marion says: You eat like a bird.
34. Filming "Psycho" took 36 days from December 1959 to January 1960.
35. Every time the film shows the reflection of a hero in the mirror, this character does something wrong. For example, when Sam and Lila are registered under false names, or when Marion said the stolen money, the viewer sees her reflection in the mirror. Thus, Hitchcock wanted to show the two sides (good and bad) human nature.
36. In the 80s there were three more movie "Psycho" in 1983, 1986 and 1990, with "Psycho 3" was filmed thereby Anthony Perkins, who almost for life, was a "hostage" its role as serial killer.
37. The slogan of the film «We All Get Crazy Sometimes».