After another quarrel with my stepfather, my mother came to my room and said that I was old enough to live separately.

I hate to talk about this, so I want to remain anonymous. Friends are ashamed to say, the whole family is involved in the scandal. This probably wouldn’t have happened if my mother and stepfather hadn’t asked me to move out of my home. My mother said, “Daughter, you’re an adult, it’s time to know.” Would you like to stay at Grandma's? I was so hurt. That is, I have no place in my home, and my step-sister, my step-daughter, can live for her own pleasure, even though she is also an adult?

Unsplash Offended and upset with my stepfather, I called my grandmother, to whom my mother wanted me to live. I told her everything about how my stepfather hated me, and that my mother was on his side, and that I was being evicted from the house. If I knew how my complaint would turn out, I would probably think 10 times before I told her anything.

What to do if my mother and stepfather ask me to move out of the house I am already 20 years old and I am finishing my second year of university. I understand that now many will say that at this age you can already live separately, but everything is not so simple. I'm in medical school, and I don't have time for a part-time job. There's literally no time for anything! I cannot rent an apartment, even a room for two or three is quite difficult to find. I have no one to share my living space with, and I am afraid of strangers.

Unsplash does have a dormitory at the university, but it's in terrible condition. Only those who come from neighboring cities live there and cannot afford to rent. Everything is in the traditions of the post-Soviet space: one shower per floor, a common kitchen without normal equipment and constant partying in neighboring rooms.

My mother is not a millionaire, and now the prices for renting an apartment are so high that we can be happy that we all at least live in our apartment. I thought so.

When I was 13, my mother remarried Uncle Tolik. They seemed to communicate before my dad died, but I didn't realize it at the time. Uncle Tolik was married, with him after the divorce was the youngest daughter. Together with her, he came to my mother and my apartment, in which we stayed together, after my father died.

Mother and father have always been like a cat and a dog, but I don’t remember very well what was the reason for their quarrels. It's a taboo subject for mom. And we hardly talked to her, my mother always had problems. I remember it was hard for her, and at some point she even drank in the evenings when Dad was at work. Thank goodness it ended when my stepfather arrived.

His daughter and I didn't get along very well. It was a shame that the youngest child was given all the free time. She didn't do well in school, unlike me, so her parents were always doing lessons with her. They were often called to school. I had no such problems, but it seems to me that everyone forgot about me. And when I became an adult, my mother had only one argument: “You are already big, and you need to take care of Yula.” But I wasn't always big.

Unsplash's complicated relationship with stepfather is a separate story. He disliked me from the beginning. Being a burnt-out pedant, he constantly poked me into a mess. If she didn’t wash the mug, she locked the door with one lock (not two) if she forgot to buy bread at the store. We quarreled about small things, and then about everything.

At this point, my mother usually tried not to interfere. From this, I learned two things: first, my mother didn’t care much about me; second, she never loved my father as much as Uncle Tola. She will not say a single word to him, she obeys everything and is absolutely happy. When they first got married, I noticed that she blossomed: she began to take care of herself, her house again, laughed more often and came to life. And I'm so glad she's happily married. But Anatoly and I had a hard time.

When I was 18, he started dripping on my mind all the time that I had to do everything myself. Cleaning up, making money (and I'm only in my sophomore year) and living apart. He argued that he began to earn at 16, and at 18 already rented a separate apartment with friends.

One day, I couldn’t stand it and told him that, unlike him, I had a medical school, not a college. And that he started working as a mechanic, and I don’t have that opportunity now. How angry he was, sparks from his eyes flew. We haven’t had a normal conversation since then.

Unsplash I have to admit, I started hysterical too. It’s just that his weighty comments stood across my throat, and he commented on absolutely everything: how I eat, dress, study and generally live. When I was little, he got away with it, but the older I got, the harder it was for him to rebuke me with impunity. And I also began to notice his shortcomings, just as he did to me. For a year now, there has been a full-fledged war between us, in which my mother takes my side and his side.

Recently, he reminded me again that if I’m such an adult, I can go on all four sides. I told him I wasn’t going anywhere from my house. And he, in fact, came to this apartment as a guest and can not control who will live in it. That was the beginning of the end.

After the argument, my mother came to my room with my step sister (we have one room for two, we sleep on a bunk bed) and said that we need to talk. Anyway, she told me that I was a real grown-up and could live with my grandmother. And she will give me a certain amount per month for my expenses. And this instead of supporting me and intercessing with my stepfather, who openly began to survive me from my home.

Unsplash Mom and Stepfather Immediately after that, I called my grandmother and told her everything. She told about the evil stepfather, about the fact that her mother completely lost her head in her second marriage and her stepchild is closer to her own. My grandma is on my dad's side, my dad's mom. We're the only ones who stayed with her after her father died, so we moved on as a family.

I didn't know that the apartment we all live in was designed for my grandmother. Because it was my dad's apartment. My grandmother and my mother didn’t get along for the last few years and always comforted me, and then she got mad. I called my mom and told her that if they wanted me to live separately, let me.

Then pack your things with Anatoly, take Yulenka, and let your new husband take care of where you live.

Unsplash Mom and stepfather were in shock. She yelled at me, said that I was evicting my mother and younger sister on the street, that they had nowhere to live now. I didn’t want to, I just wanted to stay home. I already talked to my grandmother, but my grandmother is adamant, her mother’s attitude to the apartment and to me was very hurt. But now I feel like a terrible daughter and a terrible person.

I don't want my mom to leave because of me. They have nowhere to go except to rent another apartment. And I don't want to live in this empty apartment alone. How do you turn back time? How can I convince my grandmother to change her mind? I'm ready to do anything, even go to the dorm if I have to.

Tags

See also

New and interesting