How to Sugar Flowers at Home

I cut off my grandmother’s pot of purple violets to make an amazing treat for the holiday of March 8!

I was in Austria last year. That's where they sell it. violets. In Vienna, they are called “Sissi Violets” of the beloved Empress of Austria. It looks beautiful and romantic in a glass of champagne. Only then I was not tempted to buy this unusual delicacy (the price spooked), now I will do it myself with this recipe.

Edible Flowers Today Editorial "Site" will tell sweeten at home. I use it instead of sweets or as a decoration for holiday desserts!

The tradition of eating or decorating confectionery candied flowers was born in the Middle East. There was invented the method of canding, that is, placing small flowers or petals completely in hot and thick sugar syrup.

According to the law of osmotic pressure, sugar enters the cells. flower-petalIt changed their taste and structure, but retained their appearance. From Arab countries, the fashion for candied flowers came to European countries. This delicacy received special popularity in France, Italy and Austria.

But if the first two countries violets - it is only sweetness and object of sale, then in Austria they acquire a touch of romantic sophistication. Once a favorite delicacy of Empress Sisi, Elizabeth of Bavaria, is now a symbol of lovers. Receiving candied violets as a gift can mean a declaration of love.

How to Sugar Violet Ingredients
  • freshflower
  • protein
  • sugar
  • brush

Preparation
  1. Cut the flowers, wash them and let them dry. Please note that flowers for use in cooking should not be sprayed with pesticides.

2. Squirrel slightly shake to break its structure. If you are afraid to use raw protein, you can use dry protein, albumin or a weak glucose solution.

3. With the help of a brush, apply the protein in a thin layer on the prepared flowers. Flowers should be skimmed from both sides.

4. While the protein has not dried, sprinkle the flowers with sugar (can be replaced with powdered sugar) also from all sides. Put the flowers in sugar on a paper napkin so that they dry well. Sushi flowers at room temperature during the day.

5. Keep the flowers sealed and make sure that they do not get moisture.

I also suggest to learn how to prepare pickled dandelion buds - an analogue of store capers, not inferior to them in taste and texture. The fight against weeds in the country has never given such a delicious result!

Such violets, even after sugaring, retain their aroma and color! By the way, in addition to violets, you can use them. panty-eyeNasturtia, jasmine inflorescences and little roses. Such flowers are edible, and their appearance will decorate any sweet culinary masterpiece!

Tags

See also

New and interesting