A young mother-in-law found out that I was expecting a child and was outraged, because my husband and I had to live for themselves.

The relationship of daughter-in-law and mother-in-law is not always the best way. Perhaps this is due to high expectations on both sides, which almost inevitably lead to disappointment. And in our history today, the reason for disagreement has been infantile A mother-in-law who in her solid years behaves like a young girl.

My mother-in-law began to surprise me from the moment we met. It was hard for me to believe that this 45-year-old woman with dyed hair, an abundance of mascara and bright red lipstick was my fiancé’s mother. Then I attributed everything to her work, because her mother-in-law works in a beauty salon, Ksenia writes.

“But over time, my discontent with my mother-in-law only grew. I was hoping that after the wedding we would be a family, that we would spend the evenings together over a cup of tea. But it was as if she had no interest in her own son, much less me.”

“She works from morning to lunch, then runs to the gym, then spends time with her friends. Then she needs to run to some master class, then she needs to rush to a date with a new boyfriend. It seemed to me that my child would have some other, normal grandmother.

By the way, the news of my pregnancy my mother-in-law received with undisguised disappointment. She said that it was in vain that we rushed, that she too at one time gave birth early, and then much regretted. After all, there is no need to hurry with the birth of children, because you must first live for yourself, rejoice in youth, see the world. And all those diaper squirrels will wait. That's the statement.

Of course, I hoped that my mother-in-law would be happy with the birth of a grandson. But she took this news coolly and with the birth of a child, she did not change her usual way of life. She could sit by the crib for a minute, and then she was in a hurry again. I did not wait for help from my mother-in-law.”

“If I lived with my mother, it would be different. She loves children and would be a great grandmother. But the problem is that she lives far away. And my mom's got three hours to go. In recent years, her health has been failing her. Even so, she regularly knits clothes for her grandson and sends them to us.”

“My friends also often have problems with their husbands’ relatives, but this is not close. They quarrel, reconcile, but somehow hold together, live with common interests, help with children. It's like we don't exist for our mother-in-law. As if the family of her son is an empty place for her, and in the head only friends, parties and some men are not the first freshness. I will not be surprised if she is also going to marry in old age, Ksenia wonders.

Perhaps Xenia should look at the infantile behavior of her mother-in-law from the other side. After all, what is wrong with the fact that the mother of her husband works (and earns), has a wide circle of friends, goes on dates and generally lives a rich life? Is that bad?

Surely the mother-in-law has many positive qualities that the daughter-in-law simply refuses to notice. One gets the impression that a young woman is even a little jealous that a new relative has so many interests. But the mother-in-law has every right to live as only she wants.

What do you think of your mother-in-law? Share your observations in the comments.

Tags

See also

New and interesting