A selection of tricks of cunning parents

Domestic parents are considering modern as a blessing. Need something to keep the baby busy? I gave him a smartphone and let him play. Or included cartoons, and let the child do not prevent adults from doing important things.

As a result, going to the first class, the child may not be able to write and count, does not have tolerable communication skills, but he knows how to play his favorite games and knows the characters of his favorite animated series by heart. The virtual world is brighter and more interesting, and therefore any everyday worries such as studying or helping parents seem unnecessary to the child.

Immense and gadgetry leads not only to complete isolation of the child from real life, but also harms his comprehensive development, spoils vision, and low mobility affects the state of health. Therefore, doctors encourage parents to use gadgets wisely and teach their children.

In developed countries, the approach to the use of new technologies is more balanced, and therefore we collected advice and personal experience of foreign parents who closely monitor the amount of “screen” time of their children so that the use of gadgets does not cause harm.

We have a timer that controls the time a child spends with a tablet or smartphone. This reduces the anxiety of the child, because he knows how much time he has left for entertainment. So much better than just picking up the gadget without warning. Imagine you were just in the middle of something interesting and suddenly it was taken away from you.

“So as soon as the son picks up the tablet, we start the timer on the microwave. The child knows that as soon as the signal sounds, the gadget will have to be returned. It's discipline, explains the British Kirsten.

Children spend 20 minutes on iPads on weekdays and an hour on weekends. When they take the device, they run a timer on it themselves. When the time is up, the child returns the tablet, says American Rinna.

“In our family, it is customary to spend screen time watching TV. There is an old Kindle Fire, but we rarely use it. But watching TV spend half an hour after lunch and half an hour after dinner. This is usually enough time to watch a movie together, says Katie.

“Our TV is in the basement and we only watch it on weekends, no more than an hour a day. Modern children spend so much time staring at screens. My kids are 6 and 8 years old, but they don’t have tablets or a laptop. But there are bikes that they love to ride, says Amanda.

“We can earn screen time. We have compiled a table where for each completed task the child gets a couple of minutes of using the tablet. Filled the bed - plus 5 minutes, took out the garbage - plus 3 minutes, washed the floor - plus 10 minutes. If you don't help your parents, you won't get a tablet. And you can spend all your earned minutes when everything is already done, says Megan.

My daughter earns screen time reading books. She has already moved into second grade, so reading is a priority for her, explains Elissa.

“Our children know that first they have to do their homework, play a musical instrument, clean the room. And only then you can pick up a tablet or turn on the TV. On weekends or on vacation, they are harder to control, but on weekdays this system works clearly.

“Children use tablets and computers to study. During the holidays, I reduce the time they spend with gadgets. To do this, we create a list of activities, for example, “30 minutes of reading, 30 minutes of drawing, 30 minutes outside...” When a child asks for a tablet, they remind him of the list. Often he is so fond of other things that completely forgets about the tablet, says Rachel.

“All devices turn off an hour before bedtime. In the evening, the son decides whether he will watch a cartoon or play a game. The only condition is that by the time the gadget is turned on, homework and other chores must be done, says Sarah.

“During the work week, we don’t use tablets or TVs, or even turn them on. Every Friday night, the whole family watches a movie. And for the weekend again give up screen time. We already have enough to do, says Crystal.

My 12-year-old doesn’t have a smartphone. Internet and video games are prohibited during the school week. But on weekends he can play games if he's done chores and behaved well. My son tried to be outraged, but my father and I are united, so he just accepted our rules and stopped arguing.

“Three years ago, we threw away television and switched to listening to audiobooks and podcasts. The first 2 weeks were tough, but we got used to it. Children can listen to books with headphones at any time. On Fridays and Saturdays, we have family auditions. It brings us together, Hollis said.

“In good weather, children go outside to play. My childhood was on the street and it was great, so I want my kids to have that experience as well. Of course, during the week they can sometimes watch cartoons. But my iPad, for example, I do not give them, and the password from it they do not know.

As you can see, each family in its own way tries to minimize gadgetry for the baby. Someone forbids, someone offers more interesting activities, and someone manages to achieve enviable obedience of the child, giving him to play a few minutes.

In any case, such a child is more likely to grow up disciplined and well-rounded. And his parents will probably be grateful that he has something to remember in addition to endless gatherings on social networks or watching videos on YouTube.

And how are you? limiting Internet use? Share your experience.

Tags

See also

New and interesting