Why Do Neighbors Stop Saying Hello to Each Other?

When buying or renting a house, getting to know your neighbors is one of the main points. After all, these people will have to live with more than one year. Therefore, building good neighborly relations is an important matter. And the calmest, when there are good people who can borrow a drill and ask for salt.

However, not everyone is lucky with neighbors. In addition, these days, many prefer to lead a rather closed life, not letting in a close circle of strangers. Even if those outsiders share a staircase with you. It turns out that people see each other all the time, but their communication is limited to greetings. And sometimes you don't.

Bad Neighbors: I have always considered myself a rather well-bred and even cultured person. When they used to live with their parents in an old five-story building, they knew all the neighbors, and visited many people. Good ones. relations It was normal, and I thought it was everywhere.”

But when he moved to a newly built high-rise building, he faced an incomprehensible problem: the tenants of the house stubbornly did not make contact. They even said hello as if this simple act took away all their vitality.”

“For the first few weeks I tried diligently to say hello to everyone I met in the entrance. Neighbors on one staircase were all the more welcomed. But everyone answered reluctantly, sometimes even silently passed by with their eyes dimmed.

And when I tried to start a conversation, I got monosyllable answers like “yes”, “no”, “don’t know”. Like an interrogation, for God's sake. Only 6-year-old neighbor Vika greeted everyone (including me) with her blustery “Hello!”

"I gave up. What to do if people are too busy to make contact or even say hello in return. Now I have stopped saying hello to my neighbors, because if they are so eager to live in their own small worlds without even sticking their heads out, that is their choice. Although somehow sad at heart, maybe it was necessary to get acquainted with future neighbors before buying a house? ?

What to do, such situations are not uncommon today. Some people prefer loneliness, work or do not want to bother with new acquaintances. Perhaps, for various reasons, the neighbors have already developed bad relations and subconsciously they also negatively perceive each new tenant.

Maybe they don't say hello to you because you're not a nice neighbor. Put yourself in the place of the people around you. Maybe your car's blocking half the yard? Maybe you're throwing noisy parties at home or making repairs from morning to night, preventing the neighbors from resting? Maybe you smoke on the stairs or the balcony, which infuriates the neighbors, but they are delicately silent about it?

If from the outside you seem to yourself a wonderful neighbor, it remains to observe what relationships the tenants of your house maintain among themselves. Perhaps it is not about you, but about the way of life of these people who, indeed, do not care about others, but this is their conscious choice.

What are they? neighbourhood What's up with you? Tell me in the comments.

Tags

See also

New and interesting