Is it worth saving a whole year to go on a trip?

Every day, we see different gurus here and there teaching financial literacy and telling people, How to learn how to save moneyTo get rich later. These people constantly prove that it does not matter what income you have, because with the right approach you can save for any dream. Is that true?

Today we will tell the story of a girl who decided to take her finances under strict control. save up for a long-awaited journey. What happened? Better to hear the heroine herself.

2 years ago I worked as a hotel administrator at the capital’s airport. 35 thousand rubles is not a salary that will allow you to save a lot, given that I had to spend a lot on renting one in the suburbs, paying for travel, buying some clothes and food, says Dasha.

“My financial situation allowed me only to dream of travelling. This is particularly ironic given the field I worked in. And yet, at the beginning of 2017, I decidedly caught fire with a dream to save up for rest. holiday in the Caribbean?

“According to my calculations, it would take 150 thousand rubles to realize my dream, including flying and living comfortably in this tropical paradise.” A huge sum, but I wasn't going to back down. And for the long-awaited trip, I boldly refused to rest, entertainment and even sleep.

“The first thing I did was make a kind of financial plan, where I detailed my spending. Even the cost of taxis was included in the non-essential expenses: for the sake of saving, I had to completely switch to public transport.”

“Temporarily refused and pleasant little things like going to the movies and gatherings in the cafe. This saved about $3,000 a month. It seems a little, but in a year it resulted in 40 thousand savings. Not so bad at first.”

In order not to break down and not to lower savings on a beautiful dress or a new smartphone, I decided to protect myself and opened a savings account in the bank. This made it difficult to spend impulsively. In addition, the bank accrued interest on the deposit, which allowed me not only to save money, but also to see how it grew gradually, which gave me confidence in my abilities.”

“Over time, I got into the habit of spending money only on what I needed. After receiving my salary, I immediately transferred money for rent, paid for the Internet and replenished my mobile phone. Then what was left was divided so that part could be put in the bank and part spent.”

“I went to the store with only a list. I only bought what I recorded at home. This simple trick kept me on budget. And often by the next salary I even had some money left.”

Additional earnings “These measures were few. I had to look for additional sources of income, but my changing work schedule did not allow me to do tutoring, which I have repeatedly thought about. But I found an opportunity to earn more on the main job. Just taking extra shifts to replace colleagues.”

“As a result, I have almost never been home. But I consoled myself with the thought that for extra shifts I would get double pay. And although I did not feel particularly happy, but watching the number on the online account grow, charged me with excitement.

“In the end, I did get my way. Although a little later than planned: after 1 year and 1 month, the required amount was collected on my account. I will probably never forget how shaking hands I bought my first flight ticket on the website.

As I now remember the treacherous thought: “Maybe not?” This is like the last frontier, the last doubt that you need to overcome to get what you wanted for so long.

As a result, “On the planned day, I never left.” Just confused the time of departure and, although rushed to the airport 2 hours earlier, did not have time for your flight. I left the airport with tears in my eyes. I thought this year and this obsession was a mistake. So much torment for one trip! I’d rather be in a car or something like that.

“As a result, I did not venture to stay at home on my vacation. I decided to go somewhere within the country. I chose Sochi. I flew off and didn't regret it. On the contrary, I fell in love with air travel for life.

“This may have been a turning point. I realized that I didn’t want to live as before, so I decided to try something else. A month later, she left the hotel and got a job at a small online publishing house as a remote employee.

“This allowed me to leave the capital for my hometown, which reduced my expenses at times. At the same time, I continued to save money using the experience I had already gained. In 2019, I finally realized my dream and visited the Caribbean.

“A 15-hour one-way flight, 3 months on the island of Tobago, a 30-degree New Year’s Eve and Latino friends with whom I practised my English plenty.” Would I have had enough determination in 2017 if I knew I had to save 2.5 years? Hardly. Was it worth it? Of course, yes, the girl concluded.

Someone is sure that for one trip Don't save up so much time.They deny themselves other joys. But this movement towards the dream, in addition to the final result, gives something else: it changes the person, allows him to look at the world differently. Is this transformation worth the effort? Everyone decides for themselves.

Tags

See also

New and interesting