How to cope with the feelings of a mother who fell in love with a rich son-in-law

Should it matter to the mother-in-law, son-in-law Or not, or his age? Is the happiness of your own daughter above all else or can you consider some options? Things happen in life.

Our reader Zinaida sent an interesting story, even a cry of the soul. She does not know what to do and is tossed between two fires - pragmatism and her own feelings. Well, let's try to help her.

My daughter and I have always been together. Even before my divorce, when my family was full, even then she loved me more than her own father. I taught her to draw and read. I was the one who spent time with her at home because we decided not to send her to kindergarten.

Don't get me wrong: my husband, her father, is not a bad person. While Olenka was growing up, he worked very hard and could not devote too much time to his family. But that is the role of a modern man. The woman looks after the children, and the man gets food.

After the divorce, it became a little more difficult. The alimony paid by my ex became a good help for us and, in principle, if you do not live on a large foot, they were enough for everything. Olya graduated from school with honors and entered the Institute. A good, smart girl with high expectations.

In parallel with her studies, her daughter found a small part-time job in the office next door. An ordinary job, good practice for a future accountant. Six months later, with her happy eyes bulging, she confesses to me that she is in love with her boss. And he, you know, is in love with her.

On the day I met, I confess, I was waiting for a brisk young man, a typical white-collar man, who had only recently taken up a leadership position. I wondered how he would behave in my presence. But the reality was very different. I admit, I was very surprised.

Exactly at the appointed 19:00 to our entrance rolled a foreign car of dark color. First came out, judging by the silhouette, a tall thin young man and immediately opened the car door, where my daughter came out. Then the next passenger door opened and another man came out.

He looked a little over 55. Grey hair parted before a small lash in the area of the forehead. Dressed strictly but tastefully. He said something to the young driver and he left. The daughter and her "young man" went to the apartment.

When I was introduced to a friend and my daughter’s boss, I didn’t even know what to say. A handsome, even charismatic man about my age. Very gallant and neat. He came not empty-handed, but with a few bottles of red and a full package of expensive products.

The evening was unforgettable. We talked, had fun, even sang. We had a very good time, in general. I want to point out that the conversation was mostly with me. At first I thought it was because Nicholas wanted me to like him as my daughter’s chosen one, but then I realized that was not the point. She didn’t know how to talk to a man so old.

A couple of yawns, conversations with a friend on the phone, a few souvenir shots and finally a complete headlong social media retreat at the end of the evening. But Nicholas did not take his eyes off me. Helped to collect dishes, tried to serve. This man doesn't know how to handle dirty dishes, but honestly, I've seen him try. The culmination was the announcement that a week ago Nikolai asked for Olga’s hand.

And then the oddities started. Nikolai called me every day and offered to help me: bring my bags home, buy something, get the best tickets to the theater (which I love), and so on. I’m not a girl anymore and I know where this is going. Especially considering that when he meets me, he sends his driver to "rest" and always drives me in person.

I can't decide. I love my daughter and wish her all the best. But is the man of my dreams the best match for her? After all, marriage is a delicate thing, you need to feel a partner. And Olga does not even know what to interest the groom. Moreover, it seems to me that she still has everything ahead, and I can feel with my skin how Nikolai is attracted to me. How can I sacrifice my relationship with my daughter, or watch her marriage to my dream collapse in the future?

Tags

See also

New and interesting