You ALWAYS have a choice

Leave the past in the past - pick and choose your emotions

In the book of Viktor Frankl's "Man's search for meaning" shows very well how important it is to learn to manage their emotions, instead of letting them control you.

During world war II, Dr. Frankl was arrested and placed in a concentration camp. A lively interest in human behavior, he began to observe the people around him. The reaction of the prisoners on their overall terrible the reality was very different. Dr. Frankl found that those who have fallen into hopelessness and just gave up on it long survived.

Did you hear from other people things like: "My husband infuriates me", "You disappoint me" or "This is making me depressed"? This is a very common expression, and if you listen to yourself, you will find that you also use them. But if you think carefully, you will realize that in fact, such statements fairly ridiculous.They imply that someone or something can make you feel emotions that you don't want to experience.

In fact, those things that happen, in no way can determine what emotions you feel. Of course, you can't control all the events in your life, but you can control your own thoughts, emotions and actions. No matter what happened to you, only you, ultimately, can choose their attitude towards these events.

Many of us unwittingly become hostages of their own emotions and don't believe they can consciously control. Indeed, negative emotions are often a natural response to certain events and occur so fast that we did not manage to prevent their occurrence. So, if you are late for an appointment, you automatically start to get nervous. If someone was rude to you, you automatically feel irritation. If someone has insulted or humiliated you, you immediately fly into a rage.

Almost every one of us from time to time unpleasant events occur. If you can't control your emotions, you will react automatically. If you allow yourself to respond automatically, your subconscious mind get used to them and start to feed you more negative emotions, based on your "preferences" in similar situations in the past.

However, whatever your reaction to an unpleasant situation in the past, this does not mean that you have to experience the same feelings in a similar situation in the future.

Every time something happens to you unpleasant, you re-make choices and determine how you will react. So, whatever you chose in the past, you can always take the situation under control and this time respond differently. The past does not necessarily determine the future.

The truth about emotions is that you always have a choice. You can always choose what you feel on a particular occasion. Always. Recognition of this fact, in itself, broadens your possibilities.You yourself create the story of their feelings.

You may wish to choose which emotions you want to feel in certain situations. Of course, this ability is not given easily, its development will require patience and perseverance, but it is possible.

The next time you will be overwhelmed with negative emotions, stop and think how it happened– step by step.

You may feel that emotions took you by force, but you will find that in fact you have them "called".

The ability to consciously choose emotions instead of automatically to follow the usual patterns –it's a skill that you can develop and improve.

Now you know what blocked emotions and the harm they can cause, and when you next find yourself in an unpleasant situation, you may be able to stop and think before automatically start to suffer.

When you do something not too pleasant, don't react immediately. Stop. Think. Ask yourself: "What will bring me more good, negative or positive emotions?".

Most likely, the positive will win, I think. There are many wonderful feelings that you can allow yourself to experience. The following is a list of positive emotions, use them at the first opportunity:

The list of positive emotions

• The excitement
  • Awe
  • Thanks
  • Goodwill
  • Fun
  • The rapture
  • Pride
  • Readiness
  • Kindness
  • Trust
  • Friendliness