As the heat of the moment not to say the wrong thing

The ability to criticize subordinates is a key skill for a leader. Frank separation can easily demotivate even the most loyal employee. At the same time, clever play on the ambitions and pride of the people sometimes is much more effective than the authoritative expression of discontent. With this in mind, I have developed several important rules, which tend not to break under any circumstances.

Before you resort to condemnation, the Manager must understand the long-term goals. They are not always obvious, and frankness from subordinates is unlikely to count. Judge for yourself: hardly anyone recognizes that in the foreseeable future plans to take your place. A couple of years ago, the sense of purpose helped me find the right key to the employee and adjust the style of communication with him. Realizing that the slave seeks to work abroad, I began to focus on this: "You didn't show the qualities that are so in demand in our foreign offices." And I must admit that it worked.

I try to avoid criticism in its purest form. Prefer to build a conversation in the format of the debriefing. First of all you need to celebrate the positive aspects of employee well and to discuss what needs to be adjusted. This conversation must end with a brief summary: this project leaves much to be desired, but it is a job done brilliantly! Thus, a person truly learns what he needs to fix it, and at the same time, he will not develop the impression that a circle of negativity.

I categorically do not accept the criticism of the employee in the presence of subordinates, even if extremely dissatisfied. Also, I did not speak out publicly in his address to colleagues. They are all on the same team and a careless word will automatically create a criticized reputation as a weak link. Since I basically do not communicate with the direct executives and managers, this practice can spread vertically downward to their subordinates, and it already runs the risk of serious impact on the microclimate of the entire company. Because fish rots from the head. When we hold meetings where each Manager reports on the work done, I am interested in the causes of those or other problems, listen to the explanation — and this is the maximum that I allow myself. Personal same criticism only in a personal conversation. It requires an individual approach to each. Don't think me a chauvinist, but, for example, men and women need to communicate in different ways. With strong floors easier: you can freely articulate their thoughts. For women the same promise you need to invest in a softer shell, it takes more time, effort and ingenuity. Still, one cannot ignore their natural vulnerability.

Regardless of gender, age, or military merit should never threaten an employee with dismissal. If a person is able to dramatically change their behavior under threat of resignation, so he consciously worked for a long time carelessly. The question is: where, then, was I, if you didn't notice? In as a last resort I did that I was ready to say that this person loses respect in my eyes and the eyes of their colleagues. But no more.

Sure if you want to effectively criticize, to start learn how to effectively praise. So I always try to convince the top management team thought that they are able to achieve very much. And most importantly: good results can be achieved individually, but maximum success can be achieved only by the team. This strengthens team spirit and adds confidence to each leader.published

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: psytop.com/content/view/485/4/

Tags

See also

New and interesting